apigeex - regional health check api

Hi Team - We have apigeex traffic from external clients through GCLB & for internal clients through ILBs (region specific). Also we are using system.region.name variable in api proxies to identify the incoming traffic region & sending to backend endpoint in same region so that traffic stays in one region through out the flow.

GCLB & ILBs are configured to use /healthz/ingress (health check) to see if the MIGs are healthy & route the traffic.

Our requirement is to have the control of processing traffic only in one region during backend maintenance or deployments. can we achieve this by disabling /healthz/ingress in one region using api call? Is that possible? or is there any common approach to stop sending traffic to one region of apigeex that we could use?

0 4 247
4 REPLIES 4

Google team ,any documentation or details on regional health check for apigeex would help.

Hi Raghu,
I'm not sure if using health checks is the way to go, if it is, I'm not sure how to do it.

Alternatively you could use: gcloud compute backend-services 
- Perform updates to your backend targets, etc.

I've tried this and it works.
Hope that helps.

Hi Kurt - Looks like our platform team doesn't want to use backend-services add & remove. Is there a way for us to deploy an api proxy specific to region & get the response to identify the health? Since we are fronting apigeex (North Bound) with GCLB & ILBs we wanted a way to check if apigeex run time & the corresponding backend is healthy in a particular region,.

You deploy proxies to environments. If you configure an environment that is limited to a specific region, then yes, you can deploy a proxy to a specific region. 

Then you can collect the multiple environments into distinct environment groups.

env-group-west - will hold only the west environment

env-group-east - holds only the east environment

env-group-all - holds both

General clients use the group-all hostname.  When you want to perform healthchecks you can use the -west or -east hostnames.