Server Sent Event (SSE) Support

Former Community Member
Not applicable

In HTTP 1.1 a mechanism called Server Sent Event (SSE) enables us to send events once a client makes an HTTP GET request with specific headers. An API Gateway would need to have the following capabilities to support SSE.

1.Maintain long-lived HTTP 1.1 connection to a client (Transfer-Encoding: chunked)

2.Act as a proxy to propagate the HTTP GET SSE call to one backend server

3.Have the capability to route the events from that backend server (in response to that GET SSE call) to the right client connection that initiated HTTP GET SSE call.

Does Apigee support SSE and if not, when will it support that?

1 8 3,375
8 REPLIES 8

Nope, there is no support for SSE in Apigee Edge today, and there are no plans to support SSE.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Hi @Dino-at-Google, Thanks for the reply. Just wondering your reply reflects the current product status/plan, or only your observation?

Both?

My statement reflects both things.

@Dino-at-Google

WebSocket would meet his requirements as well.

From what i vaguely remember(if i remember it correctly), Apigee did support websockets and then it was rolled back. Is that support coming back anytime soon?

No, there is no plan for that.

Is this capability supported now? If not, do we have any plans to support it in the future?

Which capability are you referring to? If it's maintaining a long lived connection, currently this can be done using the Apigee Adapter for Envoy instead of Apigee directly.

https://cloud.google.com/apigee/docs/api-platform/envoy-adapter/v2.0.x/concepts

I was referring to the SSE  support in Apigee mentioned in the original post with support for all 3 points

1.Maintain long-lived HTTP 1.1 connection to a client (Transfer-Encoding: chunked)

2.Act as a proxy to propagate the HTTP GET SSE call to one backend server

3.Have the capability to route the events from that backend server (in response to that GET SSE call) to the right client connection that initiated HTTP GET SSE call.