August challenge: Skill Badge monsoon! (updated!)

carrie
Community Manager
Community Manager

The weather report is in, and in August it will be raining skill badges! 🌦🌧🌟

Let’s dive into what this month-long challenge has in store:

1) Five weeks of fun: August ‘23 brings us five fun-filled weeks - each with a different theme - and each week will feature six skill badges. Yes, that's right, a total of 30 skill badges up for grabs! 

2) Boosted points for The Arcade Prize Counter: Completing featured skill badges will earn you 2 Arcade points for every 3 badges you earn, double the usual rate. So if you're new to The Arcade, this is a great opportunity to collect those points - because points turn into swagImportant: Please note that the extra Arcade Points you earn from successfully completing the featured skill badges will be credited to your points total after the campaign has ended. This means that through September, using the Points Calculator in The Arcade may not reflect your actual total points. We will be sure to let you know when those extra points have made their way out from behind the scenes (you will definitely be able to see your true total before the Prize Counter opens at the end of the year).

3) The challenge: Think you can unlock all 30 skill badges? If you manage to complete every single one of them, you'll receive a grand total of 20 Arcade points. The stakes are high, but the rewards are even higher! And yes, we will announce which skill badges 6 at a time at the start of each week, but you will have until the end of the month (11:59 PM your local time on August 31st) to complete all 30.

4) Weekly themes: Each week has a unique theme (we'd love to know which one is your favorite!). Why the themes? If you complete at least 1 skill badge in the week it is announced, you will get a special digital banner to show off on your social media.

5) Three tiers of digital clout: For all you Arcade enthusiasts out there, we've added a little extra incentive. The digital banners come in three tiers:

• Tier 1: Complete one of the skill badges featured in that particular week, and you'll get a banner for that theme.
  • Tier 2: Kick it up a notch by completing three skill badges from that week's selection, and your banner will reflect that extra effort.
  • Tier 3: The ultimate challenge lies in completing all six skill badges in a given week. Achieve this feat, and you'll be rewarded with an extra prestigious banner.
  • Not-even-a-tier-because-it's-so-special: If you complete all six featured skill badges in more than one given week, you will get a custom combo banner that may make everyone in your network jealous.

We will be sharing the themes and announcing the featured skill badges here, but the best way to get all of the info as soon as it is released is to visit our YouTube channel, subscribe, and tap the Notification bell 🔔

Phew! That's a lot of great goodness pouring down. But we know you've got questions, so here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:

• When will I get my social media banner?
    • Banners for tiers 1 - 3 will be sent towards the end of the following week. For folks who achieve the incredible and are eligible for the custom combo banner, you'll be receiving that in the beginning of September.
  • Why can't I see my extra points in the Points calculator?
    • The extra Arcade Points you earn from successfully completing the featured skill badges will be credited to your points total after the campaign has ended. This means that through September, using the Points Calculator in The Arcade may not reflect your actual total points. We will be sure to let you know when those extra points have made their way out from behind the scenes (you will definitely be able to see your true total before the Prize Counter opens at the end of the year).
  • What are all the badges up for grabs?
    • We will be announcing the badges in batches of 6 at the start of each week. We will update this post with the new additions, but the best way to get all of the info as soon as it is released is to visit our YouTube channel, subscribe, and tap the Notification bell 
  • What if I already earned one of the skill badges last month or before?
    • You are amazing! It does mean that it won't count towards the extra point, but don't worry - there will be more opportunities to get extra points before the end of the year 🙂 
  • You say we get a full week to do the featured skill badges to get a banner, but there's 5 weeks which is 35 days and only 31 days in August and the 1st is a Tuesday. How does that math work out?
    • We want to be as fair as possible, so you do have a week for each banner challenge. These are the eligibility date ranges for the weekly themes:
      • Week 1: Tuesday, 1 August through Tuesday, 8 August
      • Week 2: Monday, 7 August through Monday, 14 August
      • Week 3: Monday, 14 August through Monday, 21 August
      • Week 4: Monday, 21 August through Monday, 28 August
      • Week 5: Monday, 28 August through Monday, 4 September

Game on!

Carrie

Week 1: Raindrops

Create and Manage Cloud Resources

Perform Foundational Infrastructure Tasks in Google Cloud 

Perform Foundational Data, ML, and AI Tasks in Google Cloud 

Configure Service Accounts and IAM roles for Google Cloud 

Integrate BigQuery Data and Google Workspace using Apps Script

Develop with Apps Script and AppSheet  

Week 2: Paper Boats

Set Up and Configure a Cloud Environment in Google Cloud

Create ML Models with BigQuery ML 

Exploring Data with Looker 

Secure BigLake Data 

Protect Sensitive Data with Data Loss Prevention

Tag and Discover BigLake Data

Week 3: Umbrellas

Store, Process, and Manage Data - Console

Analyze BigQuery data in Connected Sheets

Optimize Costs for Google Kubernetes Engine

Get Started with Eventarc

Get Started with Dataplex

Get Started with Pub/Sub

Week 4: New Growth 🌱

Automating Infrastructure on Google Cloud with Terraform

Deploy and Manage Cloud Environments with Google Cloud

Ensure Access & Identity in Google Cloud

Create a Streaming Data Lake on Cloud Storage

Use APIs to Work with Cloud Storage

App Engine: 3 Ways

Week 5:

Serverless Firebase Development

Cloud Architecture: Design, Implement, and Manage

Engineer Data in Google Cloud

The Basics of Google Cloud Compute

Networking Fundamentals on Google Cloud

Streaming Analytics into BigQuery

108 REPLIES 108

What if the featured skill badge is completed in july itself

Hi Abhishek! This challenge is limited to August completions as it is time bound, but don't worry - we have more points multipliers on the horizon 🙂

Sir, but what about the hardwork we done in july for getting one point and now who has not completed in july will get double. Its look like unfair. 🙄

Bro you forgot to add totally. Its totally unfair for those who have been doing it from starting, and now they are favouring the one who were lazy from the starting

Hi, if we complete 4 skill badge from week 1 and 2 skill badge from week 2..so total i have 6 skill badge..this will provide me total 4 points or 2 points . Please clarify.

Hi, if we complete 4 skill badge from week 1 and 2 skill badge from week 2. So total i have 6 skill badge..so i will get total 4 points or 2 points, please clarify.

Hey @carrie @Yugali 

A lot of my fellow participants who took part in arcade facilitators events are not happy with this bonus points criteria.

Actually many of them have already completed 40 to 50 skill badges in the july month itself so its 2X loss in terms of points and the hardwork they did

Instead of this they should be rewarded extra points for early completion because they didn't procrastinated and pushed their limit .

So please add bonus points for all participants so that they can enjoy the event.

Most importantly please provide such infos before the event starts as it leads to confusion and partiality which i think google won't let happen and will reward the honest and hardworking participants.

Please reconsider the format and add bonus to all for this cohort .

Thanks

Thank you for your feedback - I understand that folks did a LOT of learning in July! Awesome! 

This is a new challenge for August, but if you've already completed some of the skill badges included don't worry: we have more points multipliers on the horizon that will be fun AND rewarding 🙂

In the meantime, the August Skill Badge Monsoon is a great opportunity for your friends or family members who haven't started their learning journeys to get some points before the second Prize Counter opens in Q4!

Have you considered that by offering the double points only for specific badges, you're actually dissuading people from doing any learning aside from what's featured for that given week? Why would I work ahead on non-featured badges given that they may be featured in the coming weeks? I would be depriving myself of extra points in the future by doing so.

Hi @carrie ,

Please also consider the skill badges completed in July month for 2 points because many of us has completed 30+ skill badges in july month due to Arcade Facilitator program. Now, if your featured skill badges are going to be same which we completed in month of july then, we are going to get half the points even we have put the same efforts to complete the skill badges. Efforts should not go in vain just because the completion month is "July" not "August". Else we would have not completed the skill Badges in July, instead would have do in on August month.

I hope you understand the concern here and will value the people's efforts and time.

cc : @Abhishek213 

Hi Karan,

Thank you for your feedback - I understand that folks did a LOT of learning in July! Awesome! 

This is a new challenge for August, but if you've already completed some of the skill badges included don't worry: we have more points multipliers on the horizon that will be fun AND rewarding 🙂

In the meantime, the August Skill Badge Monsoon is a great opportunity for your friends or family members who haven't started their learning journeys to get some points before the second Prize Counter opens in Q4!

Hello Google cloud community,

I want to just inform you that the new update has made so much confusion and chaos in the participants. This update has made unfair decision to those participants who has already completed 20-30 skill badges in the month of July and the same skill badges are going live in the month of August with the benefit of 2x points. The participants who has completed the skill badges same as of new released skill badges for the August month they should also get 2x points because as per August monsoon special update they will have loss in points which is unfair for any participant in any game. 

I heartly request you behalf of all the participants to consider this issue and take a look on it with the respected team members and resolve this issue asap so that participants can get fair chance of play and win.

I hope you will make the fair decision and do justice and update it soon. 

Have a nice day!!

Regards,

Mihir Shah, An active participant of GCAF program.

Hi Mihir,

Thank you for your feedback - I understand that this particular challenge might not be a good fit for you, and I know that can be frustrating. The good news is that we'll have more opportunities to snag some extra points before the Prize Counter opens at the end of the year. In the meantime, if you have friends or family who haven't completed their badges, this is a great way for them to start playing catch-up 🙂

🎉Woah!

This is a great opportunity for aspiring learners like us. I've seen many weather reports, but this one seems to be precisely predicted. We've some concerns regarding Arcade Facilitators and  Skill Badge Monsoon, they are in the following manner:

1. If someone is already enrolled in the Arcade Facilitators program, is he/she/they/them eligible for skill badge monsoon?
  2. If the above condition is satisfied; the points earned in the skill badge monsoon will be merged with the Arcade Facilitators program?

we would appreciate your response at your earliest availability.

Thank you!

Hi Pranav! Thank you for your patience; I missed this question yesterday. 

Being enrolled in the Arcade Facilitators program does not preclude one from participating in the Skill Badge Monsoon. However, the skill badges featured in the Monsoon must be earned this month (August) to qualify for the extra points. I know that several people are unhappy that they've completed some of these skill badges in July, or even before, and I understand that it can be frustrating when not every campaign/challenge is a good fit for every participant, every time. We do take that feedback seriously, and I'm excited to share that this is not the last time before the Prize Counter opens that extra points will be up for grabs! 

Hello @carrie 

Due to the Arcade Facilitator program, several of us completed 30+ skill badges in the month of July, so do count those accomplishments for two points as well. Now, even though we put in the same amount of work to complete the skill badges, we will only receive half of the points if your featured skill badges match those that we completed in the month of July. Simply because the completion month is "July" rather than "August" should not justify ineffective efforts. If not, we would not have finished the skill badges in July; instead, we would have finished them in August.

I'm hoping you see the issue and will respect the people's time and effort.

where can I see which skill badges are available for each week?

Hi!

We will be announcing the set of skill badges every Monday - we'll release them on our YouTube channel, so make sure to subscribe to notifications to find out the minute they're announced! 

I'll also keep adding them to the list in the above post, because I want to make sure you have as many opportunities to find out the latest updates as possible 🙂

Namaste @carrie 

I really appreciate you for bringing a new monsoon event but there are fellow participants who completed more than 20-30 skill badges in the month of July itself, will they also be eligible for the bonus points?

Fellow Arcade Facillitator Program participant

Hi Kaushal!

If you've already completed ALL of the skill badges in the August Monsoon - wow! You definitely deserve a congratulations. And I know that means this month's challenge might not be the perfect fit for you, so stay tuned - we'll have future opportunities to multiply your points before the Prize Counter opens at the end of the year.

Once in GCCP some of badges I've completed mentioned in first week of August in which you are offering 2 points so they must be counted, course was made by google only and now they are saying not to.count them it's not fair in anyway so please do consider to count them.

hi @carrie 

There are a lot of people including myself who have completed 30+ skill badges so instead of points that'll be rewarded in this month's skill badges please consider rewarding the bonus points to the previously completed skill badges too as it'll not be fair to award only to those who are yet to start completing the badges.

There is moonsoon of skills badges and Points but there is no Prizes Or Prizes-Tiers displayed there!?? @carrie would you don't like to reveal them this season?

We've got some extra special swag refreshes in the works, so keep an eye on our social channels - we'll definitely post closer to the Prize Counter's opening at the end of the year with a complete list of all the goodies 🙂

What if we have completed 1 or 2 skill badges already are we eligible to get 2 arcade points
We are at 50% loss here those who have already completed any 1-3 skill badges which will be featured in weeks.
The new people who didn't completed those skill badges would get 2 points where as people like me who have completed 1 or 2 skill badges already which are featured will get 1 point
this is not Fair
Please let this message reach with the facilitator team 

Hi!

It does take completing 3 skill badges to receive a point for use at the Prize Counter. I know our points system can be a little confusing sometimes - I'll try to break it down for you as best as I can 🙂

Get an Arcade game badge (by completing Level 1, Level 2, or our brand new Level 3): get an Arcade point

Get a Trivia game badge: get an Arcade point

Complete any 3 skill badges: get an Arcade point

For this month, we have 30 featured skill badges that we'll roll out 6 at a time over the course of 5 weeks (next update will be Monday, August 7th). If you complete 3 of those badges in the month of August, you do get 2 Arcade points instead of just the one.

We have special challenges almost every month that can help you boost your cache of Arcade points; we will definitely have another opportunity in the future that might suit you better if you don't feel like this one aligns with your learning journey.

Hey @carrie ,

I have completed July Arcade ( level 1 & 2 ) and Trivia 1 from one account . Do I need to complete these August month Arcades from the same account or from a new account ?

Hi Vishwa,

You must use the same account for all participation in The Arcade in order to keep your points. Duplicate accounts will not be merged.

KV
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

What if the badges are already collected 😕 are we still eligible for extra badges and extra points ? 

@carrie 

Hello there,

This is so confusing and now I am like, I don't trust on this facilitator program. I have completed more than 30 skill badges in the July month itself and now some new points system is coming with the same skill badges that I have completed in last month. I am not happy with this and I know not everyone is. If someone did these skill badges in the month of July then what, will he get these special goodies or points and if not then what is the use of completing these 30 skill badges before time. I think you shall give points to everyone who completed these skill badges.

But we have done twice the effort for the badges and getting low points as
compared to those who are completing in august it's not our fault that they
were unable to do.......We also have issues ...But we were sincere about
this event and completed with dedication.........where is our reward for it
then ?? Our extra work....Extra time......

Yes you are right. That's what I am saying.

Hi there,

I understand that this challenge is not a great fit for many who participated in the Arcade Facilitator program. We provide opportunities to get extra points multiple times throughout the year; while not every event is a good match for every person, we make sure that they are distributed as evenly as possible. The learners who participate in the August challenge will not receive the unique benefits that came with the July challenge, and vice versa. I am glad you're excited to participate in all of the challenges, and I hear your frustration in not being able to do so. We do take it seriously, and will take this feedback into our planning for new challenges.

@carrie could you please elaborate on the benefits that we got from the July challenge, as I can't see any

But I completed 3 out of these 6 skill badges the previous month. Will those be eligible for bonus points?

@carrie I have a doubt, If I complete all 6 Skill badges in August challenge: Skill Badge monsoon! , How many arcade points will I get in the arcade game? Acc to total points I will get 2 points and Will I get 1 point which is accountable as arcade points for arcade facilitator program?

Hi @carrie ,

I am facing some issues in the Level1 Arcade games for August which chat support are not able to help:
1) Build a Serverless Web App with Firebase : This lab is not provisioning resources. I am not able to start the lab. I tried many times.
2) Deploy a Hugo Website with Cloud Build and Firebase Pipeline  : This lab is not provisioning resources. I am not able to start the lab. I tried many times.
3) Deploy a Compute Instance with a Remote Startup Script: This lab doesnot have "Check my Progress" button. I have completed the whole task but still not able to mark my progress. After checking with chat support, they are saying the button is present on right side of the screen. But I have leaderboard panel on right side. Not able to hide it or remove it. Attaching the screenshot for the sameScreenshot 2023-07-17 235013.jpg

I am stuck in these labs and need assistance asap.

Hello, I think you should write to the  support support@qwiklab.zendesk.com and you can track your progress by looking at your profile section > activities...

Yeah, I did it as well, however the situation is that there is no progress at all! Even if i finished... 😔

marcodelmart_0-1691500165910.png

Top Labels in this Space