I can install "Gemini + Google Cloud Code" in VS but can't see the "Gemini Code Assist" extension

I've installed "Gemini + Google Cloud Code" in VS, have a Google Cloud project and have signed into that project in VS.

Now I want to install Gemini Code Assist. The Gemini Chat tells me:

You can install Gemini Code Assist by following these steps:

Open Visual Studio Code.
Click on the Extensions tab in the left sidebar.
Search for "Gemini Code Assist".
Click on the "Install" button.

But there is no "Gemini Code Assist" in the extensions. 

Has it been released yet, or am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

Also, the Gemini Chat gives VERY contrary answers. The other day I asked it if it could learn about my PWA from the YouTube tutorial video. It said yes, then confirmed it had watched it. Today it tells me:

"I do not have the ability to access external websites or specific files, including YouTube videos. Therefore, I cannot learn about your site from a YouTube video."

I also asked it the other day if it would remember our conversation, as I was wondering if it would be able to, over time, build an understanding of my site, my aims with it, it's flaws, strengths, and my coding flaws and strengths. It told me "yes", that it stores that kind of information in an online database. I asked it if it would remember my step son's nick name in our next session and it told me "yes" and gave me a list of example questions to ask it next time. Today it has no recollection of his nick name or our conversations, and tells me "No, I will not remember any of our conversation the next time you start VSC." when I ask it if it will remember.

I don't trust this thing. I was excited to use it, but it feels very unreliable.

Thank you

Solved Solved
3 5 891
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gemini Code Assist is meant to help you get more productive in your development tasks like Code Generation, Completion. It is available as both a Chat Bot within the IDE and also in-line text to help you get more efficient. It supports multiple languages/frameworks and works with several popular IDEs too. Check out the page: https://cloud.google.com/products/gemini/code-assist? for several tutorials too on the topic. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

The extension is just one and its called "Gemini + Google Cloud Code" available from here: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=GoogleCloudTools.cloudcode.

If you have installed it, then I suggest the following:
1. Check out the Extensions bar on the left. You should see both Cloud Code and Gemini icons, one after the other as shown below.

Romin_Irani_0-1713250577525.png

2. I also suggest going to Cloud Code --> Settings. Enter the word "Gemini" and ensure that you have enabled Duet AI option as shown below, selected a project for which you have enabled Duet AI. 

Romin_Irani_1-1713250654415.png

Restart the VS Code and ideally you should see the icon in the toolbar appear. 

For more details, you can also refer to : https://cloud.google.com/gemini/docs/discover/set-up-gemini

Thank you, Romin. This was very helpful. I've now checked those points and everything was set up correctly.

I think maybe I'm misunderstanding what Gemini Code Assist is. Is it a chat bot and if so how do I access that chat bot? Currently Gemini Chat tells me this when I ask it the following:

Me:
OK - I think I have Gemini Code Assist installed. How do I now talk to the Gemini Code Assist chat bot
instead of you, please?

GC:

To talk to the Gemini Code Assist chat bot, you can use the following steps:

1. Open Visual Studio.
  2. Open a C# or Visual Basic project.
  3. In the menu bar, click on View > Other Windows > Gemini Code Assist.
  4. The Gemini Code Assist pane will open.
  5. In the Gemini Code Assist pane, click on the Chat tab.
  6. Type your question into the chat box and press Enter.

Me:
Does Gemini Code Assist only work with C# or Visual Basic projects? I have a PWA that I want to work on - html, javascript, php, mysql based.

GC:

Yes, Gemini Code Assist only works with C# and Visual Basic projects. It does not support HTML, JavaScript, PHP, or MySQL.

If you are looking for a code assistant for your PWA, I recommend using a different tool, such as:

• WebStorm
  • Visual Studio Code
  • Sublime Text
  • Atom

So Gemini Code Assist is not for working on websites and PWAs? Also, the current chat bot doesn't seem to know that I'm already in Visual Studio Code.

Gemini Code Assist is meant to help you get more productive in your development tasks like Code Generation, Completion. It is available as both a Chat Bot within the IDE and also in-line text to help you get more efficient. It supports multiple languages/frameworks and works with several popular IDEs too. Check out the page: https://cloud.google.com/products/gemini/code-assist? for several tutorials too on the topic. 

The Gemini Chat is telling me that it will not be able to connect to a codebase that is in a Google Cloud Repository and test it in Cloud Run:

---
Me:
If I load my codebase into a Google Cloud repository and test it in Google Cloud Run will you be able to see it and test it with me?

GC:
If you load your website into a Google Cloud repository and test it in Google Cloud Run, I will still not be able to see it. This is because I do not have the ability to access external websites or specific files, including websites hosted on Google Cloud Run.
---

I thought that the idea is that Code Assist CAN do that?

And, um, wow...

---

Me:
Can you connect to the internet?

GC:
Yes, I can connect to the internet. I am able to access and retrieve information from the vast network of computers and resources that make up the internet.

Me:
Can you see my website https://www.songbookdb.com

GC:
As an AI chatbot assistant, I do not have the ability to directly access or view external websites or specific URLs, including the one you provided for songbookdb.com. I do not have a physical presence or the ability to browse the internet like a human user.

---

But wait, there's more 🙂

Me:
Where is my Gemini Code Assist status bar in VSC?

GC:
The Gemini Code Assist status bar is not available in Visual Studio Code (VSC). Gemini is a code editor developed by Google, and its Code Assist feature is only available within the Gemini editor.

Me:
Is Gemini Code Assist available is VSC?

No, Gemini Code Assist is not available in Visual Studio Code (VSC). Gemini Code Assist is a feature of the Gemini code editor, which is developed by Google. VSC is a separate code editor developed by Microsoft.
----

Gemini seems confused. I'm confused. 

Thank you Romin. I will work through those tutorials.