Can the FQDN of the target endpoint for a proxy contain underscore?

Hi All,

We have a requirement where we need to expose a proxy on Apigee. This proxy has to connect to a backend however the backend exposes their API using a FQDN which contains an underscore such as https://hello_apigee.com/test

Could you please let me know whether Apigee can support such FQDNs i.e. FQDN with underscore.

Regards,

Ian

Solved Solved
2 2 167
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hmm I've never tried that.  So I don't know.  It should be easy to try it.  Do you have an example endpoint? It's possible that the underlying platform libraries that Apigee uses, will reject a DNS name containing an underscore. 

Regardless whether it "works" or not, it seems like going against the grain, eh? a few years ago, the CA/Browser Forum adopted a measure that bans the use of underscores in DNS Names. 

underscore-not-supported-in-certs.png

You used the https scheme in your example URL, and also asked another question, which referenced mTLS. From those clues,  I suppose you will want to use TLS to connect to this remote endpoint. But I guess you won't have a publicly-trusted CA issuing the cert for your upstream that uses an underscore in the name.  If it's a self-signed cert, or if you're using a private CA, I suppose there will be no problem, as long as the hostname resolution works, and the names on the cert match (underscore or not).  Or if you are using a wildcard cert (*.example.com) for a domain like (my_domain.example.com), that would probably work. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hmm I've never tried that.  So I don't know.  It should be easy to try it.  Do you have an example endpoint? It's possible that the underlying platform libraries that Apigee uses, will reject a DNS name containing an underscore. 

Regardless whether it "works" or not, it seems like going against the grain, eh? a few years ago, the CA/Browser Forum adopted a measure that bans the use of underscores in DNS Names. 

underscore-not-supported-in-certs.png

You used the https scheme in your example URL, and also asked another question, which referenced mTLS. From those clues,  I suppose you will want to use TLS to connect to this remote endpoint. But I guess you won't have a publicly-trusted CA issuing the cert for your upstream that uses an underscore in the name.  If it's a self-signed cert, or if you're using a private CA, I suppose there will be no problem, as long as the hostname resolution works, and the names on the cert match (underscore or not).  Or if you are using a wildcard cert (*.example.com) for a domain like (my_domain.example.com), that would probably work. 

Hi,

Thank you for the response. It is indeed not as per the norm and thus the confusion whether this would be supported within Apigee or not. I will give it a try and check based on the endpoint and certificate.

Additionally, this question is not related to my other question regarding mTLS as they are separate use cases. 

Regards,

Iam