Apigee API versioning deprecating approach -Any alternatives

Hi Team,

When referring to API versioning to versioning in apigee docs lists 

It states that  "Deploying multiple revisions of a proxy to the same environment
It is currently possible to deploy multiple revisions of an API proxy in the same environment if they have different base paths. However, this capability is deprecated. In the future, deploying revisions of the same proxy to the same environment concurrently will be forbidden. At that time, any new deployment will replace the older deployment."

End of this section lists following

If the API proxy base path is the same as another deployed revision in that environment, the former revision is undeployed and the new revision is deployed in its place.
For deploying multiple versions in the same environment, see the next section.

Its not clear which is next section its referring to ?  I have seen multiple posts on versioning but I was looking for the reference details listed in this doc. Please help to understand, which is the next section referenced here .Observed that next section is about  "Deploying proxies from the command line", wanted to refer to example.

We are using Apigee SaaS

0 3 398
3 REPLIES 3

General Information:

Found below new RFC which will be useful & can be adopted on api depreciation process.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-httpapi-deprecation-header

Yes, even though that specification is still in draft, it is a well-considered approach to communicating the deprecated status through headers.

In practice, it was too confusing for multiple revisions of the same proxy to be deployed simultaneously, which is what that "versioning" section refers to. Instead, if you wanted to follow the same pattern of using version in the path, like `/v1/...` and `/v2/...` you could simply have separate proxies for those paths. 

Thanks for pointing out the "next section" part of the docs--I'm guessing it used to have another section and that this needs a fix, so I filed a docs bug.