Prevent HTTP request smuggling

An external audit of our APIs has revelled that we're vulnerable to an HTTP Request Smuggling attack, where a maliciously crafted request contains both a Content-Length and Transfer-Encoding:Chunked header, or two Content-Length headers. This can result in two requests being sent to the target.

Is there a known solution to this?

1 8 1,080
8 REPLIES 8

Not applicable

if you are seeing two content-length headers, then you can restrict the same with request validation in a javascript and reject if duplicate headers are there. Also you can use same in flowhook if you want to implement for all the proxies.

ref: https://community.apigee.com/questions/11561/known-workaround-for-duplicate-header-issue.html

Thank you. I haven't used much javascript in my proxies, can you give me a hint on how to read the raw request, then I'll parse it for a bad header set. Since this is a well known attack I was kind of hoping there would be a simple button to press so Apigee would scan for malformed requests on the way in

I would not solve this with JS.

Is it as simple as adding a condition wrapping a raisefault?

<Step>
  <Name>RF-InvalidRequest</Name>
  <Condition>request.header.content-length != null AND request.header.transfer-encoding != null</Condition>
</Step>

And then to check if there is more than one content-length header the corresponding condition is

request.header.content-length.values.count GreaterThan 1

Get more information on the variables at this documentation page.

Ideally put these two checks in a SharedFlow and attach it to a flowhook so that all APIs get this check automatically enforced.

I would suggest this if only one or two duplicate headers are there. If you want to check for more numbers of headers and dynamically get the header name, then you can use javascript.

Yes, the HTTP Smuggling attack focuses on just these specific headers.

Thanks for confirming. I did implement the duplicate header removal in one proxy using js earlier.

That looks like it makes sense. I've applied it now and the audit team are trying it out. Thank you

This method passed the audit on development. However now that I've waited a few months and pushed it to production, they've discovered Apigee must be doing something in this area as we now only see one of the two combined requests getting to our proxies. I'm guessing Apigee is intercepting and separating the requests then only sending the first one through. Which is great, except sometimes the second request generates a 400 Bad Request response. So I'm going to find a way to file a bug report with Google