configure nodes to connect to two managment server

hi we are planning to do a HA platform on APIGEE in one datacenter, we will have two management servers connected to a load balancer, the question is what to put the MSIP in the configuration file for the management nodes and the other components nodes, should we put the IP of the load balancer or the communication should be directly to the management server? if so, what IP we should put in the configuration file for other components.

0 8 253
8 REPLIES 8

Each host should use the IP of the management server in the local DC (ie, the DC where that host is located). See the sample multi-dc configs here: https://docs.apigee.com/private-cloud/v4.50.00/install-edge-components-node#installedgecomponents-12...

all the nodes are in one DC, and what about the loadbalancer IP? should i configure it as the Management IP or use only the local IP of the management node?

In that case you're better off treating your single DC as two logical DCs, even if they're physically co-located. You could use DC zones or similar instead. There is no supported 1DC, multi-management server topology.

You have 2 MS servers on same DC?

The only one who works with MS profile is the UI and actually 3rd party tools for CI\CD or so.

The MSIP param in my opinion used only for UI profile, so UI will know in front on what MS to work.

So basically you need to to the following:

1. Install MS (x2)

2. Install UI (and when installing edge-ui profile, use actual MS IP for each UI, e.g. > 2 UI == 2 MS IPS for each.

3. On top of the UI put LB, and you can put LB on top of the MS as well if you using devops tools

I have the below doubt :

1- how the other components like Router will know the IPs of the management servers if the the MSIP is useed for UI and will not be used in the Router profile (as example)?

2- if i did not use a loadbalancer is there a loadbalancing between the management servers like Routers and Cassandra nodes?

3- do i need to configure the ip of loadbalancer some where for the other nodes to be able to communicate with MS nodes as a cluster or it will not be used for internal communication ?

sorry too many questions

1. What makes you think that RMP needs to know anything about MS? See the topology and the only component working against MS profile is the UI. There are no connection from RMP to MS. RMP working against z\cs\qpid.

2. theres is a sync between management servers (management traffic), you are asking about UI >>> MS

3. I'm not sure, but from my knowledge, MSIP config param requried only for MS and EDGEUI profile installation

I suggest you open ticket for support for best practice on this

thanks for your efforts, but regarding the point one , i found that all components communicate with MS on port 8080 for management api calls i checked the table and diagram https://docs.apigee.com/private-cloud/v4.19.01/port-requirements

i will open ticket with the support and about point 3, many thanks

Ask them about the ports as well, we measured network for that, and never saw any traffic, it might be typo in the docs