How to use Apigee to access oData from SAP?

Can anyone provide me step by step procedure to access oData from SAP Gateway(on-premise) using APIGEE Edge and exposing out the service?

Solved Solved
1 3 2,257
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sandeep,

Thanks for the information.

Is Basis is Responsible to build Network connectivity between Apigee and SAP GW? OR its Developer Work?

How can I make use of the attached files, I don't understand converting oData to clean REST API, do you have documentation for that?. I have trial access to the evaluation account, Can I try connectivity and clean REST API approach, can you please provide me more details, please.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Since SAP Gateway exposes OData over HTTP/S, it is pretty straightforward to expose that through Apigee (assuming the network connectivity between Apigee and SAP GW has already been established).

Generally speaking, there are two high level use cases I've seen with OData APIs for Apigee:

Use case 1: Hide the complexity of underling OData Service and expose a clean REST API: The advantage of this is, the API will look consistent with respect to other APIs within the organization, and is abstracted from any changes to underlying SAP data models/migrations. The way you would do this in Apigee is varies from service to service and also depend on what/how you want to expose from the underlying service. I am attaching a sample API Proxy that consumes a material master data from SAP Gateway's OData service protected via Basic Auth.

sap-ecc-material-master-sample-rev2-2021-02-04.zip

The proxy uses javascript to convert the underlying OData into REST. There proxy also uses API Key validation for the northbound API Calls

Use case 2: Expose OData as a passthrough. Works when/if you have upstream systems that need OData for predefined system to system integration. The only thing you will want to do in this case is replace the OData ID tags to point to Apigee's proxy URL instead of backend. A simple string replace, like the one I have in the attached passthrough proxy example will be sufficient.

sap-ecc-odata-passthrough-rev1-2021-02-04.zip

@Sandeep,

Thanks for the information.

Is Basis is Responsible to build Network connectivity between Apigee and SAP GW? OR its Developer Work?

How can I make use of the attached files, I don't understand converting oData to clean REST API, do you have documentation for that?. I have trial access to the evaluation account, Can I try connectivity and clean REST API approach, can you please provide me more details, please.

You can import the proxy bundles from your trail account, by following these instructions:

https://cloud.google.com/apigee/docs/api-platform/fundamentals/download-api-proxies#upload

For testing purposes, if the hostname/IP of your SAP NW GW is accessible via internet, you don't have to do anything else. If not, you may want to check with the IT team to see how they can let you access it from your Apigee account.

In production however, you will either whitelist the Apigee Servers only, to access the SAP NW GW, or deploy Apigee with in the network using models like this: https://cloud.google.com/apigee/hybrid