Spec editor renders openAPI tags, but portal does not

ethan
Participant I

When editing an openAPI spec inside Apigee, it honors openAPI Tags , but on the resulting Portal, it does not.

For example, here is the editor with tags on left and rendered version on right:

10727-screen-shot-2021-01-15-at-104838-am.png

and here is how the portal renders it:

10729-screen-shot-2021-01-15-at-33151-pm.png

How do I get the tags to be honored on the rendering of the actual portal?

After a bit more drilling, it looks like the "old" version v1 of the Integrated Portal does render stuff by tagged categories, as shown on this page: https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/publish/portal/original-theme/publish-apis-v1

So, is it possible that the "New and improved" version of the Integrated Portal no longer includes the ability to group endpoints into subcategories (ie in the case where there might be 100s of endpoints or more)??

1 10 617
10 REPLIES 10

Today SmartDocs on the portal does not use tags to organize the API reference documentation. However, this is the next area of improvement we're planning, so good to hear of your interest!

I have access to another Apigee portal which does in fact render with the spec editor style of categorization.. I just don't know how that is done. One would think it is via tags since that is how the spec editor renders tags, but apparently not. If not via tags, then how? Seems extremely broken for the spec editor to render like that but not the portal.

Can you share a link? A long time ago, before we released SmartDocs for integrated portals, there was a short term solution that leveraged Swagger UI, which did consider tags. This is no longer an option for developer portals, though there may be legacy examples?

unfortunately it would not be appropriate for me to post it, but further research revealed it as drupal based. Note however that as mentioned above, this page shows the swagger-ui styled rendering as part of the v1 portal food carts API example: https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/publish/portal/original-theme/publish-apis-v1

Aha, yes, Drupal supports a swappable renderer, so you can choose other solutions instead of SmartDocs in that approach. This explains any apparent discrepancy from your earlier posts.

not quite.. it does not explain the doc link for v1 i posted, which clearly shows the swagger-ui version as being the officially rendered version following "Auto-generate API reference documentation"

sure, but as my comment above explained, that as a legacy approach that is no longer available as an option.

yeah so i guess the answer is.. if you want out of the box support for hierarchical nesting of endpoints, you cant use the integrated portal

Hi Marsh

Hi Marsh

this is the next area of improvement we're planning

Any updates on this?

Still doesn't work. Any plans to fix this?