Getting 504 Errors consistently even though we have increased timeouts

One of the Apigee users was consistently hitting 504 errors after 57 seconds, even though they had increased timeouts on Message processor.

Solved Solved
0 2 355
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Routers had a default timeout value of 57 seconds. They had increased the timeout on the Message Processors. They had forgotten to increase the timeout on virtual host/Router.

But they had one of the backend servers taking longer time. Hence, they were getting 504 errors consistently after 57 seconds.

Increased the timeout on the specific virtual host used by the Proxy having the issue. This resolved the issue.

It is always recommended that the timeout values are set as shown below:

Timeout on Client > Timeout on Router > Timeout on Message Processor > Timeout on Backend

Here are some useful documents on configuring I/O timeout on Routers and Message Processors that provides guidance on how the timeout values should be set and how they can be set within API Proxy, Virtual Host and also on the Edge components (Routers and Message Processors).

Best practices for configuring I/O timeout

Configuring I/O timeout on Routers

Configuring I/O timeout on Message Processors

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The Routers had a default timeout value of 57 seconds. They had increased the timeout on the Message Processors. They had forgotten to increase the timeout on virtual host/Router.

But they had one of the backend servers taking longer time. Hence, they were getting 504 errors consistently after 57 seconds.

Increased the timeout on the specific virtual host used by the Proxy having the issue. This resolved the issue.

It is always recommended that the timeout values are set as shown below:

Timeout on Client > Timeout on Router > Timeout on Message Processor > Timeout on Backend

Here are some useful documents on configuring I/O timeout on Routers and Message Processors that provides guidance on how the timeout values should be set and how they can be set within API Proxy, Virtual Host and also on the Edge components (Routers and Message Processors).

Best practices for configuring I/O timeout

Configuring I/O timeout on Routers

Configuring I/O timeout on Message Processors

Not applicable

The timeout value of router should be more than that of message processor and the message processor timeout should be more than the response time of the backend. The client app should have more timeout than the router.

Anything can cause 504 error.