How does Identifier in quota policy work across different proxies?

Does the quota policy counter with the same Identifier means only 1 counter across all the API proxies?

https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/reference/policies/quota-policy#identifierelement

I have an API product with quota limit of 3 requests per minute. The API product has 2 API proxies (Proxy A and Proxy B).

Both proxies uses single shared flow with a quota policy that looks like this:

<Allow countRef="verifyapikey.verify-api-key.apiproduct.developer.quota.limit" count="2000"/>
    <Interval ref="verifyapikey.verify-api-key.apiproduct.developer.quota.interval">1</Interval>
    <Distributed>true</Distributed>
    <Synchronous>true</Synchronous>
    <TimeUnit ref="verifyapikey.verify-api-key.apiproduct.developer.quota.timeunit">month</TimeUnit>
    <Identifier ref="verifyapikey.verify-api-key.client_id"/>

I successfully tried to request to Proxy A 2 times using the API key X, another request to Proxy B 1 time with the same API key X. ( total of 3 requests under a minute)

I expect that the next request to either Proxy A or B (under the same minute), would result to QuotaViolation. But instead, each proxy has different counter so they are both allowed to have 3 requests per minute each.

Is it possible to make my API product quota limit as one counter for all the API proxies inside that product?

1 1 207
1 REPLY 1

It's a good question. Let me see if I can get someone to answer this for you.