Swagger 2.0 Vs OAS3.x (Open API Specification)

We understand that OAS 3.x being latest to Swagger 2.0 specification.

OAS 3.0 lists following changes

1.Structural improvements

2.Request Parameters

3.Protocol and Payload

4.Documentation

5.Security

& few other outlined information in terms of differences like

OAS 3.0 offers support for describing callbacks, which can be used to define asynchronous APIs or Webhooks, Extended JSON Schema support & Some security definition changes

But from a business Use case prospective do we opt for OAS 3.x ? we see more from structural changes from Swagger 2.0 to OAS3.X.

Like one of case will be more readability/interactivity to documentation with respect to Example value for response is a valid Business case.

Let us know your inputs in terms of use case based on your experience or usage ?

0 2 1,252
2 REPLIES 2

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for, but OpenAPI/Swagger 2.0 was released 5+ years ago, while OpenAPI 3.0 is just 2+ years old. It cleaned up and improved much of the spec, so now it is easier to read/author. Plus, it is more descriptive than 2.0, and all of the new tooling I see is supporting 3.0 first, with 2.0 often as a behind-the-scenes conversion to 3.0.

Nice specs, fewer incompatibilities, more future-proofed--what reasons would you have for preferring 2.0?

@marshg@google.com Thanks for response.

The answer I was looking for was any valid Business case scenario one I could think between 2.0 Vs 3.0 from a business perspective is " readability/interactivity to documentation with respect to Example value for response" which we observe in 3.0 (not in 2.0) similarly do we have any more differences which can be listed out to make or to migrate to 3.0 from business point of view ?