What is the Role of Apigee in organizations which use off-the-shelf business applications as opposed to building them?

Hi,

How do I make the most of this highly talked about product in a situation where my tech landscape only has vendor delivered off the shelf UIs so I'm not really building applications by consuming APIs the application is already built. I am open to doing things different and I acknowledge that Apigee has ranked #1 in Gartner's report for 3 consecutive years but is there any point of an API Management Platform in an Enterprise which already has ESBs, Message Queues and complex integration brokers for its system integration needs and at the same time its IT systems are off-the- shelf business applications like IBM's Maximo and Salesforce.

I am little confused as to what to do with Apigee in this situation because the primary USP of Apigee -building an application or delivering a user experience doesn't apply here because the user experience is already delivered by IBM or <insert generic vendor>.

One way to add value is to integrate my 2 systems and do all data transformation and mediation in Apigee thereby reducing the overhead responsibilities from my systems of records so they can do what they are best at - running my core business functions. But....exisitng ESBs in my enterprise like TIBCO and BizTalk already do that so for what should I use Apigee ?

I know security is also another flagship feature of Apigee but my enterprise also has its proprietary security process invented before OAuth came around.

Best,

Pranav

0 2 242
2 REPLIES 2

Attempting to answer my own question here: I guess the argument for Apigee is that the point of Apigee and all of this modern age thinking around API led integration and API-first approach is that if one did things the Apigee way in a REST Architecture we wouldn't need these complicated esoteric integration brokers and middlewares. And the benefit of doing that would be: Going Lightweight enables you to scale, portable consumption platforms like send an invoice from your phone or IPad rather than Maximo's Desktop UI, and generally focus less on dated priorities like payload meditation and more on business value.

Would you agree? Would you answer this differently?