HTML 404 - Not Found error returned by Apigee

We are attempting to make an outbound connection from our backend through our firewall to Apigee.

We have created a VIP on the firewall and have attempted to call any of our proxies but the following error is returned: 404 - Not Found

<!DOCTYPE html> <html>     
<head>         
<title>Error</title>         
<style>
    body {
        width: 35em;
        margin: 0 auto;
        font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
    }
</style>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>An error occurred.</h1>
        <p>Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
            <br/>
Please try again later.
        </p>
    </body>
</html>
<br>

Looking at the Apigee trace, I can see that nothing is hitting our proxy and I've done due diligence with management apis, monitoring etc but nothing seems to appear in any logs we have access to.

When I hit the firewall VIP without a proxy, I receive a 200 - OK.(<html></html>)

We believe that this error is being returned from Apigee as we've looked through TCPDumps and performed other network analysis and could see packets being sent and received.

The VIP is configured to resolve to one of our configured virtual hosts.

If anyone has encountered this issue before, I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

(Apigee public cloud)

Solved Solved
0 5 3,467
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This error can be returned by Apigee when it's unable to successfully determine the correct virtual host for your request.

This likely means either:

1) Your proxy is not sending SNI ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication ) details in the TLS handshake.

2) Your HTTP Host: header is not correctly set.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

This error can be returned by Apigee when it's unable to successfully determine the correct virtual host for your request.

This likely means either:

1) Your proxy is not sending SNI ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication ) details in the TLS handshake.

2) Your HTTP Host: header is not correctly set.

I hope that helps.

Hey Christian

Thanks for your suggestions. This issue was resolved by adding the required SNI elements, which were missing.

Hi Sdonnelly,

it seems i have the same issue with apigee request from the outside world, where do you set the SNI elements ?

thanks

Sam

Using Apigee Edge?

You need to insure the appropriate SANs are configured in the TLS Certificate for Apigee inbound.   And that the correct hostnames are in the virtual host.

And you also need to insure that the client supports SNI. And has SNI enabled. 

Hi @Simon Donnelly,

Please check the NGINX access/error logs. As Chritian pointed out, you will see these errors in NGINX access/error logs.

Also, the URL that you are using , it must be part of VHOST alias.