How can I publish page development made in DEV while keeping Users from TEST/LIVE intact?

Not applicable

I'm making home page changes in DEV environment.

I'm publishig this changes in TEST environment through Pantheon -> workflow -> clone (database + files)

When I do this publishing, I loose the users that I have in TEST environment. How can I publish page development made in DEV while keeping users from TEST/LIVE intact?

Thanks!

Solved Solved
1 1 149
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear @marcelo.felix ,

Its a problem that has been there for quite long time (Almost 14 years..) . You might be wondering such a long time ? Yes, Indeed it is. Let me give you some details regarding same.

• Apigee Developer Portal is built on top of famous Open Source Drupal CMS.
  • Drupal CMS power comes from out of the box modules, plug n play, configurations, content management.
  • By it's design, Drupal CMS stores both configurations & content in same database (MySQL).
  • Drupal auto generates database schemas (tables) when you install contributed modules & core.
  • It stores content like Users, Comments, Nodes, Pages in the same database along with Configurations like block changes, context changes, views, user configurations etc in the same database.
  • There is no straightforward way using which you can differentiate this is data related to configuration & content related data in same database.
  • When you replace database users will be overridden along with configuration changes like home page changes.
  • Coming to the files, files folder contains uploaded files, cached files like images, css, js etc.

It's an issue everyone see with Drupal CMS and there are some work arounds to deal with it. Please check Features module / Configuration Management module which allows export of configurations changes and import of configuration changes. It doesn't work 100 %, but solves 99 % use cases.

Upcoming Drupal 8 version is solving this problem in the core release.

Please find some reference links regarding same below..

Please keep us posted if you have any queries.

Cheers,

Anil sagar

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Dear @marcelo.felix ,

Its a problem that has been there for quite long time (Almost 14 years..) . You might be wondering such a long time ? Yes, Indeed it is. Let me give you some details regarding same.

• Apigee Developer Portal is built on top of famous Open Source Drupal CMS.
  • Drupal CMS power comes from out of the box modules, plug n play, configurations, content management.
  • By it's design, Drupal CMS stores both configurations & content in same database (MySQL).
  • Drupal auto generates database schemas (tables) when you install contributed modules & core.
  • It stores content like Users, Comments, Nodes, Pages in the same database along with Configurations like block changes, context changes, views, user configurations etc in the same database.
  • There is no straightforward way using which you can differentiate this is data related to configuration & content related data in same database.
  • When you replace database users will be overridden along with configuration changes like home page changes.
  • Coming to the files, files folder contains uploaded files, cached files like images, css, js etc.

It's an issue everyone see with Drupal CMS and there are some work arounds to deal with it. Please check Features module / Configuration Management module which allows export of configurations changes and import of configuration changes. It doesn't work 100 %, but solves 99 % use cases.

Upcoming Drupal 8 version is solving this problem in the core release.

Please find some reference links regarding same below..

Please keep us posted if you have any queries.

Cheers,

Anil sagar