Need message id max length (at least approximate value)

Is it possible to get rough max length of the involved variables so that we can calculate for rough max length of the full message id?

I got below standard from https://community.apigee.com/questions/52929/can-somebody-give-me-an-in-deep-messageid-format-e.html

$hostname-$pid-$connection-$connection_requests

One of our common back end auditing system has a max length of 50 for this value. Currently we get 45 and 47 length message ids from Apigee. If you could throw any rough number for this max length, we can act accordingly keeping future in mind.

Apigee support told they could not confirm an estimate on max length for this.

Thanks,

Sithik

0 1 558
1 REPLY 1

I was surprised to see the formula of

$hostname-$pid-$connection-$connection_requests

...as the constituents of the messageid variable. I had not been aware that we documented the generation of that variable. The documentation that I see is

Holds the globally unique ID for the request, which includes the router host name. This ID allows requests received at the router to be tracked after they are sent to the message processor.

In short: the structure of that variable is not documented.

Currently we get 45 and 47 length message ids from Apigee. If you could throw any rough number for this max length, we can act accordingly keeping future in mind.

Yes, I think I understand. But I don't think we define a max length of that number. I can think of two ways to handle this:

1. create an alternative message id value inside the apigee flow, before propagating it to your backend, that is unique and constrained to 26, or 30, or 50, or 58, or 64, or whatever number of characters you need.
  2. Just assume a max length of 64, and if it ever changes, you'll need to change your strategy.