Volume banded plus fixed monthly fee in monetization

Not applicable

In our use case, there are multiple developer affiliates for whom the developer app makes api calls.

The affiliates are identified by a header - lets say x-affiliate.

We want to have a billing mechanism per affiliate such that the monthly charges are -

Base fee($1) + Volume banded fee(0.1 per call)

Example, for 100 calls from an affiliate per month, fee should be - $1 + 100*0.1

We are able to get just volume banded report per affiliate.

My question is how we can add the fixed base fee aswell.

Thanks,

Jaskaran

0 10 320
10 REPLIES 10

i think you can configure in the Fees section - a recurring fee [which will be equal to the base fee] and configure a Rateplan with Volume bands

776-screen-shot-2015-07-15-at-63138-pm.png

Thanks Mukundha. But I am looking at recurring fee per affiliate and not developer.

ah,ok -- how about this - can you configure it like this -- charge only the first call with the base fee and rest of the calls as normal

777-screen-shot-2015-07-15-at-70714-pm.png

The downside to this is - if the affiliate does not make the call.. he is not charged the base fees, - but i think that should be fine, right?

Actually, we want to charge base fee even if there are no calls from that affiliate. That was going to be a different question 🙂

Also the way you suggested, will let me bill per developer app but not for the affiliate.

yes rite, you will have to use custom attribute to account per affiliate, hope argho's answer addresses your questions,

adas

@jaskaran.rm The monetization rate-plans were built for charging developers, you could still use them for what you call as "affiliates", but I need to understand the concept of affiliates so that I can suggest you something. I have the following followup questions:

- What is the definition of "affiliate", can you give an example ?

- Would the apps and keys be registered for the affiliate or the developer themselves ?

- What is the relationship between affiliate to developers, is it 1:n or n:n ?

- What is the definition of "affiliate", can you give an example ?

Its different businesses who use the developer app. We get a unique business id in the api call,

We have multiple developer apps, with each of them being used by a different set of businesses. New businesses are regularly added.

- Would the apps and keys be registered for the affiliate or the developer themselves ?

For the developers. Affiliates dont know about APIs. We actually want to charge developers based on the number of affiliates they have.

- What is the relationship between affiliate to developers, is it 1:n or n:n ?

1(dev) : n(affiliates)

Part of this problem has been solved. i.e we are able to do volume banded billing grouped by affiliate id. I am trying to understand how to have base fee per affiliate aswell.

adas

@jaskaran.rm Monetization has a concept of custom attribute rating. I am thinking whether that would serve your use case. You can create rate-plans for a custom attribute and that custom attribute (like you said every call would have the affiliate-id) could be linked to each apiproduct.

So first you need to have a package with the apiproduct such that the apiproduct has the custom attribute. Then you can create a custom attribute based volume banded rateplan with fee. However, you would not be able to charge fee per affiliate since that's not possible. Fee is charged per developer (or subscribing entity), so I am not sure the second part of the usecase would be supported by monetization.

Thanks @arghya das . We have used custom attribute to create affiliate specific report. If we cant get a base fee per affiliate, then we will try to do this part after generating report.