multiple tenants vs multiple organizations

From what I understand it is recommended to setup multiple organizations within a tenant to allow for clear separation of concerns between for example production and non-production systems. If on top of that there is a need to isolate traffic the additional TIP can be installed.

What is the advantage of the multi org + TIP approach compared to having multiple tenants each with their own organization?

Thanks.

Joe

0 1 562
1 REPLY 1

Hi @Joe Kassels

Organizations contain one or more unique environments. TIPs can work at the environment level as well. I.e. you can isolate runtime traffic between different environments within the same org. It doesn't have to be one-one either, you could have 3 non-prod envs isolated with 1 prod env. You might want to do this if your environments (dev, test, staging, prod) share the same API proxies, Products, Developers Apps, etc, but you want the proxy to be deployed to prod in isolated infrastructure for runtime purposes. The benefit of this is that prod can be scaled independently, and the blast radius of any widespread issues occurring in lower environments does not impact production.

The other way would be to have multiple orgs for prod and non-prod. You can still have TIPs for each org and achieve the same thing as above. However the main difference is that your API products, Developers, Developer Apps, and Proxies are completely separated. This means you need to implement CI/CD pipelines for promoting stuff from the non-prod org to prod org.

If you are starting off, I would recommend the first option.

Another reason to use multiple orgs would be if your company has separate structures. E.g. retail and wholesale.

Hope this helps!