Can I integrate with linkerd2?

Any guides/caveats/reference architectures/success (or otherwise) stories for integrating with Linkerd2, especially with respect to existing gateway (Ambassador)?

We do have Azure AKS + linkerd2 (aka Conduit) using Ambassador as ingress (though, Ambassador is not an ingress resource, per design). Another corporate group runs Apigee Edge, and we want to have them manage access to our APIs.

So we were told that "all" we need to do is run the microgateway in our cluster. Architecturally, apigee microgateway and Ambassador seem to be equivalent, so I could replace Ambassador with Apigee, if needed.

Beyond that, I don't really know if we need any further integration, but that may be just my lack of knowledge. I am in the process of setting up a test environment to learn more, maybe it just magically works. But I wanted to ask in case I was heading down the wrong path.

Solved Solved
0 7 943
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK i think you have some options.

1. Yes, you can run Microgateway in your cluster, and replace the Ambassador, if you don't use Ambassador for other stuff. (Or, if equivalents of the other functions of Ambassador that you rely on are available in the microgateway) . Clients running wherever they run would connect to the microgateway or some LB (load balancer) in front of the microgateway, and then into the backend service running in AKS.

2. You could "front" your APIs with an Apigee Edge SaaS proxy. This means that clients running wherever they run would connect to Apigee Edge hosted in GCP and managed by Google, and the Apigee Edge MP would connect to the load balancer in front of your AKS-hosted services.

3. You could install a hybrid cluster of Apigee Edge on AKS and use that as the ingress gateway. In this case Clients running wherever they run would connect to the LB in front of your AKS; requests would route to the Apigee Edge MP in the AKS cluster, and then from there into the service running elsewhere inside AKS. This might be an interesting option depending on your timeline. The hybrid product is still in alpha, beta soon. Contact your customer team to get access to it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Can you elaborate on what you are imagining for "integration"?

I have some ideas in mind but probably you have something specific. Elaborate? Are you using Linkerd now? Provide a little more context about your goals.

I'm very new to Apigee, so I'm sorry if I am going to screw up the answer. I realize I wasn't very descriptive.

We do have Azure AKS + linkerd2 (aka Conduit) using Ambassador as ingress (though, Ambassador is not an ingress resource, per design). Another corporate group runs Apigee Edge, and we want to have them manage access to our APIs.

So we were told that "all" we need to do is run the microgateway in our cluster. Architecturally, apigee microgateway and Ambassador seem to be equivalent, so I could replace Ambassador with Apigee, if needed.

Beyond that, I don't really know if we need any further integration, but that may be just my lack of knowledge. I am in the process of setting up a test environment to learn more, maybe it just magically works. But I wanted to ask in case I was heading down the wrong path.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

There is no integration with Linkerd. Apigee integrates with Istio.

OK i think you have some options.

1. Yes, you can run Microgateway in your cluster, and replace the Ambassador, if you don't use Ambassador for other stuff. (Or, if equivalents of the other functions of Ambassador that you rely on are available in the microgateway) . Clients running wherever they run would connect to the microgateway or some LB (load balancer) in front of the microgateway, and then into the backend service running in AKS.

2. You could "front" your APIs with an Apigee Edge SaaS proxy. This means that clients running wherever they run would connect to Apigee Edge hosted in GCP and managed by Google, and the Apigee Edge MP would connect to the load balancer in front of your AKS-hosted services.

3. You could install a hybrid cluster of Apigee Edge on AKS and use that as the ingress gateway. In this case Clients running wherever they run would connect to the LB in front of your AKS; requests would route to the Apigee Edge MP in the AKS cluster, and then from there into the service running elsewhere inside AKS. This might be an interesting option depending on your timeline. The hybrid product is still in alpha, beta soon. Contact your customer team to get access to it.

Thanks! Suppose I just want to replace Ambassador with Apigee directly.

For ambassador, I have to add a custom header to route to the cluster.

https://linkerd.io/2/tasks/using-ingress/

add_request_headers:
        l5d-dst-override: web-svc.emojivoto.svc.cluster.local:80

Is this needed for Apigee, and if so, how should I accomplish it?

@srinandans maybe one more look at this?

I think as far as he's concerned, if it's not Istio, it won't work. I am just going to try it on my own and see if I need to pursue Apigee integration or drop it. Thanks for your help.