¿ How can I determine the geographic location of a proxy ?

Hello !!

Some Context ...

We have some API proxies that have cache resources (ResponseCache) that store response data for 24 hours, for some GDPR legal reasons (General Data Protection Regulation) we need to handle in a special way those requests that have PII (Personally Identifying Information) and this can be performed in a different way depending if the information is stored in US or EU.

The Question ...

I need to determine where is the proxy's information stored, most specifically where is allocated the proxy that is storing that data. How can I determine the geographic location of a proxy, most exactly the country ?

0 1 188
1 REPLY 1

Short answer: system.region.name - see https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/reference/variables-reference

Longer answer: Anything stored in the Response Cache will be placed in L2 cache, which is shared across regions. Thus even if a proxy is located in the US or EU, the data cached from both is worldwide. I'm not a GDPR expert and don't know what impact this would have on your compliance, but it's important to keep in mind that the location that the proxy is executing is not necessary the only location where data used by that proxy is stored.