Apigee Istio Adapter Vs Apigee Microgateway

Hi,

This might be a loose question - so pardon my ignorance here.

I am new to Istio and the Apigee Istio Adapter. What I am confused on is how does the Apigee Istio Adapter compare with Apigee Microgateway. Is it an either/or use, or can there be an architecture involving both? In that case what functionalities will be provided by each, and how would they be set up?

It looks like both Apigee Microgateway and Istio Adapter might

Solved Solved
1 1 1,032
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Is it an either/or use, or can there be an architecture involving both?

Probably Either-or.

the Microgateway was born 5-ish years ago to satisfy the desire for some of our customers to have a lighter-weight gateway that they could deploy very near to their services. This was prior to maturity of Envoy, Istio, or the service mesh concept.

The Apigee Istio Adapter provides a similar function, but specifically targeted to services fronted by Istio. Istio provides a gateway (Envoy) and through the Mixer, it is possible to extend the behavior of the Gateway so that it can enforce quotas or perform token checks on requests. This is basically what the microgateway does.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Is it an either/or use, or can there be an architecture involving both?

Probably Either-or.

the Microgateway was born 5-ish years ago to satisfy the desire for some of our customers to have a lighter-weight gateway that they could deploy very near to their services. This was prior to maturity of Envoy, Istio, or the service mesh concept.

The Apigee Istio Adapter provides a similar function, but specifically targeted to services fronted by Istio. Istio provides a gateway (Envoy) and through the Mixer, it is possible to extend the behavior of the Gateway so that it can enforce quotas or perform token checks on requests. This is basically what the microgateway does.