Question on KVM

skulkarni
Participant I

Can we retrieve Key value from KVM in one environment from other environment that is

Suppose we have KVM created in dev and we want to call this from proxy in other environment(test or prod).

Is that possible and how?

Also can we call across different organization as well?

Note:We are using encrypted KVM

0 9 323
9 REPLIES 9

anujshiva
Participant II

I think this is not possible as a KVM created will be only valid in the particular env of the particular Organization.

Hi @Sandeep Kulkarni and @Anuj Shiva

Suppose we have KVM created in dev and we want to call this from proxy in other environment(test or prod).

Is that possible and how?

No.

Also can we call across different organization as well?

No.

I suggest to you: have a look at the documentation -

https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/reference/policies/key-value-map-operations-policy#ScopeElement

Which document do you mean, the link you have given is of this page?

my bad, link updated just now!

@sandeep Kulkarni,

KVMs defined at environment level cannot be accessed in other environments. KVMs defined at org level are accessible across environments in the same org.

You cannot access KVMs across orgs.

Check this video on managing access to KVMs

Manage access using KVM scope

Just out of curiosity, why do you need such a feature? Would it not be easier to store environment specific properties in environment specific KVMs instead?

And while it is not possible to use the KeyValueMapOperations policy to read KVM values from a different env/org, one can use the Edge management api to do so. Ref: https://apidocs.apigee.com/management/apis/get/organizations/%7Borg_name%7D/environments/%7Benv_name...

However, I strongly recommend against doing so as invoking management api from within api proxy is a common anti-pattern.

Not applicable

There are organization level KVMs. The scope of organization level kvm incudes all environmnets of a particular organization. You can access in different environmnets, but there is no cross organization sharing kvms.

Hi .. I one of our Apigee environment there is no option to add Key and Value in KVM. I can just create a KVM but cannot add any key or values. Is something missing from administrator point of view in the setup ?

Not applicable

it seems enough permission is not there.