Set up alert for HealthMonitor API

I am using HealthMonitor API in load balancing back-end server with isFallBack feature meaning that when HealthMonitor API detect a server down it would switch to <isFallBack>true</isFallBack> server. I want to trigger an alert on this event via any means: email, slack...

1. Is it possible to set up an alert on server down above?

2. If APIGEE is down or malfunctions, does it trigger any alert for users?

Thank you.

0 4 381
4 REPLIES 4

No - you cannot set up an alert or webhook based on the HealthMonitor.

Yes, if Apigee Edge service experiences a problem, you will receive a notice if you subscribe to updates at status.apigee.com .

But be careful - sometimes the service degradation does not affect working API Proxies. Not all service degradations mean "APIs are unavailable".

Also there is never a case in which "Apigee is down". Never has been. It would be extraordinary event. Apigee Edge is a large distributed system, with multiple independent groups of systems, spanning the globe; so it's never really "down". "Down" isn't a good word to apply here.

"Service degradation" sounds kinda euphemistic, but it's the most accurate term. Service can be degraded in particular places, or for particular customers. You will be notified if that ever happens, bu the systems at status.apigee.com .

@Dino-at-GoogleThanks.

1. I am contacting sales to enable API Monitoring to trigger alert for server. But if it cannot support HealthMonitor but rather only base on request to API Proxy then there is a case i.e. backend server is down but only when users issue requests via proxy then we got notified about the failure. It is undesireable, do you have any idea or I have to wait for next APIGEE version ?

@Dino-at-Google I find that in API monitoring there is a configuration for fault code (https://docs.apigee.com/api-monitoring/alerts-notifications):

Target errors, no active targets

• UI: Gateway > Target > Gateway TargetServerConfiguredInLoadBalancersIsDown

I tried to use this to issue an alert when healthmonitor API used in Load Balancer to detect down target server but it does not work. Do you have any idea the reasons?

no, I don't , but maybe @Prithpal Bhogill might be able to direct you?