Does every API proxy run in its own JVM or can multiple API proxies run on the same JVM

If I create an API proxy in Apigee for a target service that I have, does the proxy run in its own JVM. Or in other words, if I have 100 target services and I create 100 proxies in Apigee, do I need 100 JVMs for those proxies or can I run all the 100 proxies in one JVM.

0 4 327
4 REPLIES 4

You are asking this question in a strange way.

Apigee Edge is a SaaS offering. There is no JVM involved.

It just so happens that the Apigee Edge message processor is implemented in Java, and yes, in fact the MP runs in a JVM. But you, as a subscriber to the SaaS, do not have any control of the JVM, or how many instances there are, etc. And ideally you should not even be aware that there is a process or JVM.

So it doesn't make any sense to ask

do I need 100 JVMs for those proxies?

or

can I run all the 100 proxies in one JVM?

The answer to both of these questions is mu.

You have no control over that.

You can define multiple proxies in your environment. You can have 100's of proxies and 100's of targets.

Looks like you don't know that Apigee also has an on-prem version. I am looking for an answer from someone at Apigee who knows the product architecture. So you don't have to answer if you don't know and your primary objective is to insult people.

Hi, I did not intend to offend. I know the product architecture, having worked here for 6+ years.

When you are using an on-prem installation of Apigee Edge, as an API proxy publisher, you have no control over the JVMs that are used. There is one JVM per MP server. The JVM handles all requests for all environments mapped to that server, whether it is 1 env or 10, 1 proxy or 1000 proxies, 1 request or 10000.

The person who installs Apigee Edge has control over the number of SERVERS that are used, but not the number of JVMs. The installer maps message-processor servers to environments; that gives you the total number of JVMs in the cluster. But there is always 1 JVM per MP.

it's better described here- https://docs.apigee.com/private-cloud/v4.19.01/modifying-java-settings.
But I think you have already found the same as it's been a long since you asked.