How do I delegate Basic Authentication in Developer Portal?

We have a separate authentication service which uses Basic Authentication to generate a token for the client to invoke an API.

The idea is to have the API configured on Portal in such a way that the user invokes the authentication service, provide their credentials, retrieves the token and subsequently invokes the API by passing the token obtained in the previous request.

Is this flow achievable from the Portal?

This is similar to an OAuth 3-legged flow, only that it uses Basic Authentication.

Thanks!

0 2 186
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, I can try to help, but before I suggest anything, can you show a diagram depicting the various actors and the messages that get sent and received between them? There is a dev portal, there's the user agent (browser), and the external authentication service.

Can you show a sequence diagram explaining what you are envisioning? Something like you can see here: https://github.com/DinoChiesa/devjam3-20170405/tree/master/Resources/oauth2-ac

...but for your particular case.

Here is the flow diagram:

8154-capture.jpg

What we require is to have the flows 1 & 2, be part of the Portal not outside of it. So when any client tries to invoke the Enterprise APIs, they can provide the user/pwd directly in the Portal API.

I know that we can achieve this by routing the Portal API to an Edge Proxy, but what if we want to achieve this only from Portal similar to the OAuth flow.