Send email after developer creation

Hello All,

We have a specific use case, wherein we would be consuming the management api to create developer.

Can anyone please advise me if we can trigger email to the developer (once its created by consuming the managrement api call) without involving the developer portal in the flow ?

Is calling SMTP server the only one option ?

Does Edge provide any functionality to send email?

Thanks,

Meghdeep

0 7 323
7 REPLIES 7

No, Apigee Edge does not expose a webhook or other way to attach a customized notification for this purpose. That would be really handy. But it doesn't exist in the product today.

I suppose if you are automating the platform via the API you could also use an email API at the same time to send out the notification.

----EDIT----

If you are NOT automating the platform, the best way I know to handle this case is... to build a program or script that runs as a scheduled task or cron job; that program should query the /audits API of Apigee, to check for recently created developers. And then send out an email for those recently created developers.

There is an Audit Watcher tool I wrote that does this for *any* update to Apigee, and it posts to slack.

https://github.com/DinoChiesa/Apigee-Audit-Watcher

Maybe it would be better if I narrowed the scope of that program so that it did not post to slack, but rather it would just ... invoke a webhook. And then the webhook is supplied by... someone else. That webhook can do anything, post to slack, send an email, etc.

@Dino-at-Google

So how would be able to send notifications in Drupal 8 when a user creates a new app..Is this even possible?

This is being worked on in github currently: https://github.com/apigee/apigee-edge-drupal/pull/289

The short answer is using the Business Rules module + that PR should let you react (send email) to the event (app got created).

Right - in this case Drupal itself would send out the email. This will happen only when a developer registers himself/herself in the developer portal.

Please keep in mind:

• this only makes sense if you are using the Drupal8 portal. There are other portal options with Apigee (one is, the "Integrated Portal"), and the capability that Karl is describing will not work with those other options.
  • if you are tickling the Apigee admin API to create developers... that doesn't impact Drupal at all, and so that would not trigger the outbound email.

@dino-at-google,

In my case I do get email notifications when users create an account on my dev portal, but if I need an email alert when a user creates an app from one of my API's I do not get this notification.

I'm not clear. Did you look at the response from Karl Scheirer? Did you use that BR module plus the pull request? Did you configure it all in Drupal? Do you care to show the configuration you used?

Also, is this a new question? If so, Maybe you should post a new question instead of extending this comment stream.

@Dino-at-Google my apologies I read Karl response, when I saw your response I must have read it incorrectly. I thought you were offering an alternate solution my apologies, but to answer your question Karl solution is working. Thanks @Karl Scheirer