What is recommended: Apigee's Adaptor for Istio or Apigee Edge Proxies?

anshul_
Participant IV

If we are using istio for service mash up and want to expose APIs through Apigee. What is the recommend approach - using Apigee Adaptor in istio or the traditional way of creating a API proxy in Apigee Edge?

I believe that using Apigee Adaptor in Istio will not allow us to take the advantage of many of the Apigee's out of the box capabilities. I have experienced same while using microgateway in past.

I want to know what you recommend and in what scenario one approach should be preferred over another?

0 1 506
1 REPLY 1

Both approaches have its pros and cons.

As you pointed out, an API proxy in Apigee Edge will let you leverage the full capabiliities Edge offers, but will require a hop to Edge and then to your Istio microservice. This might not be acceptable for policy enforcement in a service to service invocation scenario.

Using the Apigee Adapter for Istio means the policies are enforced within the service mesh itself, without requiring a hop to Edge, but you still benefit from product and key management and analytics features that Edge offers. The downside as you've pointed out is that only a subset of policies are available.