Error while using Generate JWT policy in Apigee by using RS256 algorithm

Hello ,

@Dino-at-Google

I am trying to generate a JWT token using Apigee Generate JWT policy with RSA256 algorithm and getting the following error

jwt.Generate-JWT-1.error cannot instantiate private key

I am able to generate and verify a JWT using HS256. I saw in the community that people faced the same issue and no one has generated a JWT with RS256. Is this issue solved or I am I missing something?

FYI we are on private cloud version 4.18.1, is the fix applied to this version?

Please let me know, if I am missing something.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Solved Solved
0 5 1,870
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Dino Sorry for late response, we found why it is failing.

we were generating the private key using following command,

"openssl genrsa -out private-encrypted-rsa-des.pem 2048" -This doesn't show the algorithm in private key.

pic.1

7812-doesnt-show-alg.png

But when we use the following command,

"openssl genrsa -des3 -out private-encrypted-rsa-des3.pem 2048" -This show's the algorithm in private key.

pic.2

7813-shows-private-key-alg.png

By using the private key(in pic.2) we were able to successfully generate & validate the JWT token.

View solution in original post

Yes, thanks for the reply. I'm glad it's working for you.

We're working on making this more tolerant of the various PEM formats. Improvements are coming so that you will be able to use the old RSA format, encrypted keys, unencrypted keys, and new formats for both. Much more flexible.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi hemanth

I understand you're having trouble with the GenerateJWT policy. Sorry about that. The error message indicates that the policy cannot instantiate the private key.

I saw in the community that people faced the same issue and no one has generated a JWT with RS256.

I think this is not correct. It's not correct that "no one has generated a JWT with RS256". Plenty of people are doing that.

You didn't describe how the private key is formatted. There are multiple options, of course. It needs to be PEM-encoded, using either PKCS#1 or PKCS#8. There's a really good review of these options on stackoverflow.

One limitation with the original policy was in de-serializing encrypted private keys. The original policy was able to de-serialize encrypted private keys, if and only if DES3 encryption was used. In PKCS#1 format, an encrypted key that could be deserialized looked like this:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED
DEK-Info: DES-EDE3-CBC,444D0046AC26EA44

mutr2fuoADA/TNTw+sCEgW/ZH3G58MgKFCTKGMeaZQkEKB8113
wLn2UOfK...WTXqviLMMIaQcXF1ePqR2HfB1VVUCEm5rtDDvo
8ohaXgjUZBYZTmPmdIPEUtC+5gzVqUird3a6bDozsuo=
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

If you encrypt the key with any other algorithm, for example AES 192 with CBC, then you would see the "cannot instantiate private key". For example, the GenerateJWT policy will not be able to de-serialize this valid private key:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED
DEK-Info: AES-128-CBC,F7B406D39C87775A25514DF40E8573FF

bj9VS0lti6hMmeKPJGr39xaloKAlEmpIFcxbvr+kDMChLQAywkbHwlM/eO7sYYwI
31VkrD8MK07tLoGekv3rrvRKgZ0i1a5xEUP2EhU8qOpgbJm9CR9DFn6 ....
w99aav0Yc4QaRsJFNXIwDyWWSyHqdRDuQPljHneFkpx8ap2cHWgEdNcc
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

This problem has been noted (b/79526748) and fixed, but the patch has not yet been released. The workaround: use a non-encrypted private key or use a DES3-encrypted private key.

There are other potential causes of "cannot instantiate private key". For example:

• you didn't pass a valid PEM-encoded private key
  • the key is encrypted with DES3, but the password is incorrect
  • There is some other formatting that is amiss

Whether you are experiencing any of these is hard to say. I'd need to look at the policy configuration, and the private key string.

Just in case it needs to be said: If you post the private key string, be sure to mask out most of the base64-encoded data. The private key is a secret; don't post it in its entirety here. I would need to see the top of the PEM file in each case, but not the full payload.

@Dino Sorry for late response, we found why it is failing.

we were generating the private key using following command,

"openssl genrsa -out private-encrypted-rsa-des.pem 2048" -This doesn't show the algorithm in private key.

pic.1

7812-doesnt-show-alg.png

But when we use the following command,

"openssl genrsa -des3 -out private-encrypted-rsa-des3.pem 2048" -This show's the algorithm in private key.

pic.2

7813-shows-private-key-alg.png

By using the private key(in pic.2) we were able to successfully generate & validate the JWT token.

Yes, thanks for the reply. I'm glad it's working for you.

We're working on making this more tolerant of the various PEM formats. Improvements are coming so that you will be able to use the old RSA format, encrypted keys, unencrypted keys, and new formats for both. Much more flexible.

Can you please share the commands ran to generate the keys and get the tokens generated / verified

Ask a new question please. When you ask, you'll want to provide more than 8 words describing what you want. A short phrase like "please share the commands to generate the keys and tokens" is not enough context to explain what you are trying to do, what you have tried, and what you are stuck on.