Messagelogging syslog is not sending milliseconds correctly

We're logging our requests to Loggly with the messageLogging policy. This is what it looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<MessageLogging async="false" continueOnError="false" enabled="true" name="messageLogging">
    <DisplayName>messageLogging</DisplayName>
    <FaultRules/>
    <Properties/>
    <BufferMessage>false</BufferMessage>
    <Syslog async="true">
        <FormatMessage>true</FormatMessage>
        <Host>logs-01.loggly.com</Host>
        <Message>[xxxxx tag="xxxx"] 
        {messageLogging} </Message>
        <Port>6514</Port>
        <Protocol>TCP</Protocol>
        <SSLInfo>
            <Ciphers/>
            <ClientAuthEnabled>false</ClientAuthEnabled>
            <Enabled>true</Enabled>
            <IgnoreValidationErrors>false</IgnoreValidationErrors>
            <Protocols/>
        </SSLInfo>
    </Syslog>
    <IgnoreUnresolvedVariables>true</IgnoreUnresolvedVariables>
    <logLevel>INFO</logLevel>
    <NotificationIntervalInSec>0</NotificationIntervalInSec>
</MessageLogging>

Apigee automatically adds some variables to the syslog call, among which is the current timestamp. This timestamp looks like this:

2018-10-03T14:18:11.011+0000

The problem we ran into is that the milliseconds in the timestamp are always the same as the seconds. Here is a handful of calls in a trace of a few seconds:

2018-10-03T14:18:09.009+0000 xxx

2018-10-03T14:18:11.011+0000 xxx

2018-10-03T14:18:11.011+0000 xxx

2018-10-03T14:18:12.012+0000 xxx

2018-10-03T14:18:12.012+0000 xxx
We would expect the milliseconds to refer to the actual milliseconds of the timestamp.
0 10 599
10 REPLIES 10

Hmm, that is VERY suspicious! And I agree with you that it looks like a bug.

Let me look into it.

In the meantime, what version of Apigee Edge are you using? SaaS or Customer-managed?

If you are managing your own installation, do you have a conf_system_apigee.syslogger.dateFormat set? (per this doc) What is it?

EDIT

Based on code review, this is a bug in Apigee Edge. reference: b/117219520

If you want to track this bug, you will need to contact customer support and open a case, asking to track it.

Thank you for your response.

We're on edge SaaS.

OK, thanks. the fix is trivial. But with the moratorium, not sure of release schedule.

FYI: The fix has been implemented and merged. Release date is as yet, uncertain.

Thanks! Is there any update regarding a release date for this fix?

I'm checking, will update shortly.

Hi Dino, Do you maybe have an update?

Yes I do; The fix is set to release in the March cloud release. I expect that to become available for everyone in late March 2019. Last week of March, I suppose.

BTW: It's as frustrating for me as it is for you, that it has taken as long as this to release the fix. We are constrained by a self-imposed moratorium on releasing changes during the busy retail season.

Hi Dino,

It's me again ;-). Any update on this matter? It seems the issue is unfortunately still not resolved.

I regret the delay. We are in the process of delivering this fix (and a bunch of other fixes and new features) to Edge SaaS now. As I type this. The release rolls out across the globe in stages.

I expect that if things go smoothly, you should have this fix before Monday.