MicroGateway configuration errors on Windows 10.

jeffai
Participant I

I tried to configure the MicroGateway on my windows machine (Apigee Edge in the cloud), but i am getting the following error during configuration.

PS C:\Users\XXX> edgemicro.cmd configure -o xxxxx -e test -v default -u xxxx@xxxxx.com

current nodejs version is v8.11.3

current edgemicro version is 2.5.26

password:

file doesn't exist, setting up checking org for existing KVM

error checking for cert.

Installing new cert. creating KVM adding private_key adding public_key C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\cli\lib\cert-lib.js:187 'value': key.publicKey ^ TypeError: Cannot read property 'publicKey' of undefined at C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\cli\lib\cert-lib.js:187:30 at C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:718:13 at Immediate.iterate [as _onImmediate] (C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:262:13) at runCallback (timers.js:810:20) at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:768:5) at processImmediate [as _immediateCallback] (timers.js:745:5)

Solved Solved
1 29 879
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Community Member
Not applicable

A quick update: At the moment, I suspect there is a backward incompatibility between OpenSSL versions.

I have created workaround for this issue. The edgemicro configure command takes two new parameters - key and cert. Like this:

edgemicro configure -o org -e test -u me@user.com -k ~/workspace/tls.key -s ~/workspace/tls.crt

Users can use OpenSSL to generate a self signed key/cert pair like this:

openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout tls.key -out tls.crt -config /private/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf -extensions 'v3_req'

or, procure a signed certificate from your enterprise CA.

I expect to publish this release in the next day or two.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Former Community Member
Not applicable

I presume openssl was installed and available in the path. Can you please confirm if a KVM called "microgateway" was created and the key and cert installed on it?

For my case KVM was not created, stack trace is exactly similar to Jeff. I tried to configure with Apigee Evaluation version and Paid version, bot gives the same error.

Not applicable

I have exactly the same error, i also tried to upgrade npm and node.js , edgemicro-auth proxy is created in Edge. There is no KVM created though. Please find the stack trace

current nodejs version is v10.10.0
password:
file doesn't exist, setting up
checking org for existing KVM
error checking for cert. Installing new cert.
creating KVM
adding private_key
adding public_key
C:\Users\_nairr\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\cli\lib\cert-lib.js:187
'value': key.publicKey
^

TypeError: Cannot read property 'publicKey' of undefined
at C:\Users\_nairr\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\cli\lib\cert-lib.js:187:30
at C:\Users\_nairr\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:718:13
at Immediate.iterate (C:\Users\_nairr\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\edgemicro\node_modules\async\lib\async.js:262
:13)
at runCallback (timers.js:694:18)
at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:665:5)
at processImmediate (timers.js:647:5)

Former Community Member
Not applicable

same question - is OpenSSL installed and in the path?

Open SSL is installed and is in path, i am running in Windows 7 though

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Are you an "orgadmin" in the Apigee org?

Yes i am the Org admin

Configuration YAML just in case it rings any bell

edge_config: bootstrap: https://apigee.net/edgemicro/bootstrap/organization/org/environment/env. jwt_public_key: http://apigee.net/edgemicro/publicKey. managementUri: https://api.enterprise.apigee.com vaultName: microgateway authUri: https://%s-%s.apigee.net/edgemicro-auth baseUri: https://edgemicroservices.apigee.net/edgemicro/%s/organization/%s/environment/%s bootstrapMessage: Please copy the following property to the edge micro agent config keySecretMessage: The following credentials are required to start edge micro edgemicro: port: 8000 max_connections: 1000 config_change_poll_interval: 600 logging: level: error dir: /var/tmp stats_log_interval: 60 rotate_interval: 24 plugins: sequence: - oauth headers: x-forwarded-for: true x-forwarded-host: true x-request-id: true x-response-time: true via: true oauth: allowNoAuthorization: false allowInvalidAuthorization: false

Former Community Member
Not applicable

No, that's not helping. The key/cert is not being generated is what I can tell from the stacktrace.

There is a line which says installing Cert and then it proceeds to KVM, while creating Public_key key it has some issue, is this because of NPM version 6.4.1 or the issue with Latest Microgateway version

Former Community Member
Not applicable

I can confirm this bug. Will post an update soon.

jeffai
Participant I

Thanks all. I can confirm the following

1. Open SSL installed and working on Win10 (I also tried on a Mac with the same error).

2. I configured as orgadmin.

3. Didn't use a trial account.

4. No new KVM was created.

@srinandans - also, when you say it is a bug so a fix is on the way? 🙂

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Something strange is happening. I have tried this 3-4 times. And it only failed once. Maybe the management api is timing out. Does it happen if you try it again?

hi @srinandans - I have tried many times - and never worked. I had a look at the source code, but could not figure out where the key object is created.

createCert(function(err, keys) {
    if (err) {
        return callback(err);
    }

const privateKey = keys.serviceKey;
    const publicKey = keys.certificate;
    const async = require('async');

pem.getPublicKey (publicKey, function(err, key) {
      async.series(
        [
          function(cb) {
            if (!options.force) { return cb(); }
            deleteVault(generateCredentialsObject(options), managementUri, options.org, options.env, vaultName, cb);
          },
          function(cb) {
            console.log('creating KVM');
            console.log('adding private_key');
            console.log('adding public_key');
            var entries = [
              {
                'name':'private_key',
                'value': privateKey
              },
              {
                'name': 'public_key',
                'value': publicKey
              },
              {
                'name': 'public_key1',
                'value': key.publicKey   // where is key defined?
              },

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Here: https://github.com/apigee-internal/microgateway/blob/master/cli/lib/cert-lib.js#L340

I have now run it 10 times. It worked every time...

strange - looks like the key was not created. Can you please explain to me the differences between the public_key and public_key1?

It is still not working for me.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

public_key actually contains the certificate and public_key1 contains the RSA public key.

also

could this be an issue?

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Nope, I'm using the same version (on mac).

hi @srinandans - i was also able to verify the proxy

info: jwk_public_keys download from null returned 200 undefined

info: jwt_public_key download from https://xxxxxxx-nonprod-test.apigee.net/edgemicro-auth/publicKey returned 200 OK
info: products download from https://xxxxxxx-nonprod-test.apigee.net/edgemicro-auth/products returned 200 OK
info: config download from https://edgemicroservices.apigee.net/edgemicro/bootstrap/organization/xxxxxx-nonprod/environment/tes... returned 200 OK
warning: no edge micro proxies found in org
verifying analytics negative case: OK
verifying bootstrap url availability:OK
verifying jwt_public_key availability: OK
verifying products availability: OK
verifying quota with configured products: OK
verifying analytics with payload: OK
verification complete

- this said. I am still not comfortable on why the code was not working for me (with openssl x509 -utf8)

jeffai
Participant I

Thanks @srinandans - after much debugging. I finally was able to configure microgateway (I have not verified it yet).

I found the error was with the command for openssl x509

I logged the parameters as (my log)

"RUN OPENSSL WITH x509,-utf8,-in,C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\8d65ce3ddae4080f8783f5eb5d264dd4988eee59,-pubkey,-noout"

and the error

"OPENSSL CLOSED WITH STDOUT

OPENSSL CLOSED WITH STDERROR x509: Unknown digest utf8

x509: Use -help for summary."

"

Then I changed the pem.js code to remove the 'utf8' option, e.g.

params = ['x509',
      // '-utf8', // JEFF
      '-in',
      '--TMPFILE--',
      '-pubkey',
      '-noout'
<br>

Then it was OK

configuring host edgemicroservices.apigee.net for region xxxxxxxx

saving configuration information to: C:\Users\xxxxx\.edgemicro\xxxx-nonprod-test-config.yaml

vault info:
 -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
xxxxxxx
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

The following credentials are required to start edge micro
  key: xxxxx
  secret: xxxxx

edgemicro configuration complete!
<br>

I was able to verify and repeat the whole process multiple time since the fix.

But this is more a 'hacking" then a proper solution.

hi @Rahul Nair - sorry it was a typo - it should be in the pem.js file.

Thank you 🙂 I mereley reinstalled the Microgateway this time it worked

jeffai
Participant I
@Rahul Nair

@srinandans

Please see my previous comments - after I've updated the code. It now works fine. I have also tested on my mac (LibreSSL 2.2.7) and it also worked (it was not working before). However, as I mentioned before ... i am not comfortable with the "solution".

Former Community Member
Not applicable

A quick update: At the moment, I suspect there is a backward incompatibility between OpenSSL versions.

I have created workaround for this issue. The edgemicro configure command takes two new parameters - key and cert. Like this:

edgemicro configure -o org -e test -u me@user.com -k ~/workspace/tls.key -s ~/workspace/tls.crt

Users can use OpenSSL to generate a self signed key/cert pair like this:

openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout tls.key -out tls.crt -config /private/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf -extensions 'v3_req'

or, procure a signed certificate from your enterprise CA.

I expect to publish this release in the next day or two.

What key is it..Private key ? Also i am planning to use the docker image docker pull gcr.io/apigee-microgateway/edgemicro:latest, how do i pass the key and secret to this image to run this image.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Yes, the key referred to there is the private key.

Two things:

1) I haven't yet published the release

2) These parameter only affects "edgemicro config". This step is done outside docker, so the usage of the docker image is unaffected.