Async call of Apigee Stackdriver Extension

Not applicable

I'm wondering if Stackdriver logging extension is called asynchronously or not?

Having no stackdriver call, my API response is being processed in Apigee for 10-15 ms according to trace information.

When I add Extension callout policy, trace shows request is being processed for 150 ms (extension callout takes 1-2 ms, but then there's big pause before next step).

First screenshot shows request processing with Stackdriver logging enabled.

7427-screen-shot-2018-09-11-at-162310.png

Second screenshot taken with Stackdriver logging excluded from request processing.

7428-screen-shot-2018-09-11-at-162406.png

Solved Solved
2 4 348
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Sergei, thanks for using Extensions and asking about it here in the community!

Currently, Extension Callout Policies (ECP) are all processed synchronously. The added latency is a result of the ECP execution.

There is a known bug that essentially misplaces the latency of the policy's execution, which is why you see the ECP executing for 1-2ms.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Sergei, thanks for using Extensions and asking about it here in the community!

Currently, Extension Callout Policies (ECP) are all processed synchronously. The added latency is a result of the ECP execution.

There is a known bug that essentially misplaces the latency of the policy's execution, which is why you see the ECP executing for 1-2ms.

Hi Noah, thanks. Do you know if it will be async at some point? 150ms added latency does not sound good 😞 .

With the release of the new set of extensions I was wondering if there were any updated plans to allow these to execute asynchronously? The logging policy is essentially useless if it can't execute async or in PostClientFlow.

@Andrew Storrs, I was told they were testing the feature on their dev environments few weeks back. But then again, I was told that 5 months ago aswell.