Private Cloud Installation - without root access

Is it possible to do private cloud installation without root access?

or is it atleast possible to scope out what components need root access and what do not need root?

UPDATE: So looks like its possible to install without root access, and has been verified by @Paul Mibus on 15.04 - See Marc's answer

Solved Solved
0 12 531
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Not applicable

Not sure this is completely supported (please check with PM), but this is the approach to install as a non root user:

[bwa]$ mkdir ~/opt      # use a folder in the home dir - it is writeable

[bwa] cd ./apigee-edge-4.15.04.00

[bwa]$ ./apigee-install.sh -j /opt/jdk1.7 -r ~/opt/ -d ~/opt/

Now check pre-requisites:

[bwa]$ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-openldap-check-prerequisites.sh
[bwa]$ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-postgres-check-prerequisites.sh
[bwa]$ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-qpid-check-prerequisites.sh

Ask your sysadmin to install everything the three scripts complain about (Note: for postgresql the admins need to add the postgres yum repo: "yum install http://yum.postgresql.org/9.3/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos93-9.3-1.noarch.rpm")

Then start the installation as normal user, e.g. an all-in-one (aio) profile:

[bwa] $ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-setup.sh -f config-aio -p aio

Then create org, user, roles, envs and your are done

View solution in original post

The topic of non-root OPDK installation has been quite a hot one. If you go to JIRA and search for the text string "non root" you will see a bunch of results from many projects...here's a summary of some that might be most relevant:

OPDK-918: Non-root installation not possible in OPDK 15.01 (check out final comment that after some changes it was restored in 15.04).

Here are a couple that reflect some of the issues that need to be addressed for non-root installation: AUTOPT-138 and AUTOPT-177.

There's also a specific request for next-gen OPDK from Pranav: MAG-243: Non-root/non-sudo install.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Not applicable

Not sure this is completely supported (please check with PM), but this is the approach to install as a non root user:

[bwa]$ mkdir ~/opt      # use a folder in the home dir - it is writeable

[bwa] cd ./apigee-edge-4.15.04.00

[bwa]$ ./apigee-install.sh -j /opt/jdk1.7 -r ~/opt/ -d ~/opt/

Now check pre-requisites:

[bwa]$ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-openldap-check-prerequisites.sh
[bwa]$ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-postgres-check-prerequisites.sh
[bwa]$ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-qpid-check-prerequisites.sh

Ask your sysadmin to install everything the three scripts complain about (Note: for postgresql the admins need to add the postgres yum repo: "yum install http://yum.postgresql.org/9.3/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos93-9.3-1.noarch.rpm")

Then start the installation as normal user, e.g. an all-in-one (aio) profile:

[bwa] $ ~/opt/apigee4/share/installer/apigee-setup.sh -f config-aio -p aio

Then create org, user, roles, envs and your are done

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Thanks Bernhard, i tried this, i think there are problems with openldap, postgres and qpid - will check the logs and confirm the exact issues - i don know if its because of yum install

That's why I wrote "ask your sysadmin". The installation of postgresql, openldap and the pre-requisites of qpid need root access. So in a real customer scenario you need to do the check scripts, note the result and ask the sysadmins to install these things.

Afterwards you can continue as a non root.

I tried it yesterday as described and the installation in my home dir worked and I could deploy a proxy ...

Thanks Bernhard, I think these were mainly user errors [my errors!], Now I am able to almost install it , few more errors - i am assuming they are also user related. Let me try again and confirm. Thanks Again!, very helpful!

adas

Some of our components do need root access, at least from a script perspective for installation, start/stop etc. It may be a good idea to raise a feature request to the OPDK team to allow private cloud installation without root access.

Thanks Argho, can we get a list of those components that need sudo privileges?

For eg, even all-start.sh wont run without sudo

This might be a good Idea post - you can post it here https://community.apigee.com/content/idea/post.html

The topic of non-root OPDK installation has been quite a hot one. If you go to JIRA and search for the text string "non root" you will see a bunch of results from many projects...here's a summary of some that might be most relevant:

OPDK-918: Non-root installation not possible in OPDK 15.01 (check out final comment that after some changes it was restored in 15.04).

Here are a couple that reflect some of the issues that need to be addressed for non-root installation: AUTOPT-138 and AUTOPT-177.

There's also a specific request for next-gen OPDK from Pranav: MAG-243: Non-root/non-sudo install.

Thanks @mschreuder, Very helpful!

Birute, that is a link to an install without internet access, not root access.