How do you use client certificates when making an HTTPS call from node.js with Apigee Edge

Following the examples I've written my js code and running on my laptop it works fine - HTTPS call is made using client certificate authentication. Running on Apigee though I can't get it working - it just fails with the following exception: "io.apigee.trireme.core.internal.CryptoException: Input data does not contain a key pair".

Below is the options I'm passing to https.request():

var options = {
        hostname : www.myhost.com,
        port : 443,
        path: '/service/url',
        key: fs.readFileSync(__dirname + '/certs/APIGEE-client-privkey.pem', 'utf-8'),
        passphrase: 'password',
        cert: fs.readFileSync(__dirname + '/certs/APIGEE-client.cer', 'utf-8'),
        method: 'POST',
        rejectUnauthorized: false,
        headers: {
            'Content-Type': 'application/xml',
            'Content-Length': requestData.length
        }
    };

Presumably running in Apigee edge is using a different Crypto library. Does anybody have this working - if so how do you read in the files so they will be accepted?

Thanks

Solved Solved
2 5 16.8K
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just had the idea of changing the format of the files as I noticed that the node tls library also accepts pfx files. So I converted the files:

openssl pkcs12 -export -out certificate.pfx -inkey privateKey.key -in certificate.crt

Using the pfx format seems to work ok.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I had the same problem earlier - not sure if its resolved.

Try running your script using trireme in your machine, if it works there, it should work in Edge - thats the runtime we use in Edge

https://github.com/apigee/trireme

Thanks. Just tried that and it produces the same error. So does that mean it's a bug? Is there anyway to actually load the client certificate/key?

I think the crypto library used by trireme has the bug, Unfortunately, I have not been successful to load certs/key in nodejs. I have also reported this as a bug

Just had the idea of changing the format of the files as I noticed that the node tls library also accepts pfx files. So I converted the files:

openssl pkcs12 -export -out certificate.pfx -inkey privateKey.key -in certificate.crt

Using the pfx format seems to work ok.

oh cool!, Thanks Dave, I will give a try with my code