Load balancing based on system.region.name

We are using the system.region.name variable to route the traffic to correct data center. The problem here is system.region.name gives us 2 value namely dc-1 and dc-2 and our production guys are not sure dc-1 corresponds to which data center and similarly for dc-2. Is there any config file we can look up to find out. I mean login to a machine in data center and look up any config file to find what name is provisioned for region name(system.region.name).

0 3 698
3 REPLIES 3

Edge SaaS or self-managed Edge (ie OPDK installation)?

This is OPDK

If this is an OPDK installation, then.... the names for regions are chosen at the time you install OPDK.

See this page.

The region names will correspond to a datacenter if and only if your installation followed that convention. "dc-2' is just a name, and there is no guarantee that the machines you have configured into dc-2 all reside within a single datacenter. they *should* all be within a single datacenter, but the people who installed your Apigee Edge may have not followed that convention.

I may suggest:

query the servers as shown in that doc page above. Select a server in dc-1. LOCATE that server, physically. Where is it? Then you can infer the meaning of "dc-1".

You can do likewise for dc-2.

To be thorough, you can LOCATE all servers registered in your planet. That would allow you to verify that "dc-1" and "dc-2" correspond to real locations with no exceptions.

Load balancing based on system.region.name sounds like an intriguing idea.

But, I would suggest you measure before drawing conclusions about how to best load balance. It could be that servers in "dc-1" are actually faster to point X than servers in dc-2, even though physically the dc-2 datacenter may be closer to point X.

Or there may be only a small difference, or maybe an insignificant difference.