Use Monetization policies to create a product with a freemium rate plan that doesn't require legal name

sharped
Participant II

We previously implemented a product that had a free limit of 1000 calls per month applied using the Common quota policy.

We are now trying to implement the same type of free access (as part of a freemium model) using the monetization polices.

When I have tried to switch my existing tokens to the new Rate plan that provides the Freemium access (using the Accept rate plan API) I need to have the following attributes: MINT_DEVELOPER_ADDRESS and MINT_DEVELOPER_LEGAL_NAME. So far we haven't collected address information for the free usage level.

Is there a way to make it so that these fields are not required for the free access level? and we only collect these when users want to purchase access.

Kind regards,

Dave

0 4 273
4 REPLIES 4

These attributes are required before a developer can accept a rate plan (even if it's freemium).

You can create a script that adds these attributes to the developers you'll be switching (and add some dummy value).

You can then collect the right values when they subscribe to other plans

Thanks for the information @Deboraelkin. I think that it was implict in the last line of your response but just to be clear, if we set these values with dummy data as you suggest: they be changed in the future? I'm just trying to think ahead to understand if doing this places constraints on us in the future.

[deboraelkin] Just to ask another relevant question, as these fields are required it implies that they are important.

1. Are you able to indicate what purpose these fields provide and hence the consequences of supplying dummy values?
  2. When specifying Dummy values I guess the legal_name must be unique, is it worthwhile having unique values for the Address?

These two attributes are only ever used for real if you'll be doing billing from within Apigee Monetization, but they are mandatory nevertheless. They don't have to be unique. They can always be changed using the "Update a Developer attribute" or "Update all Developer Attributes" management APIs (https://apidocs.apigee.com/api/developers-0)