Microgateway is not starting in docker

etienned
Participant III

Hi,

I have created a couple fo microgateways and I am now in the process to experiment on how to create a docker image of a microgateway.

I followed the following article:

https://apigee.com/about/blog/api-technology/running-apigee-edge-microgateway-docker-container and all the steps is work as suggested.

After I have executed the "docker run --env-file ./<org>-<env>-env.list -p 8000:8000 -v <directory containing configuration>:/root/.edgemicro -d -t ndietz/emgw" command I get a long key back. So I assume the container was built successfully.

When I execute the CURL command to the the docker IP then I get the following response:

curl: (7) Failed connect to 172.17.0.1:8000; Connection refused

I then checked with netstat and there is nothing running on port 8000 and checked in docker with "docker ps -a", the container was built: however there is no port listed to the container. But the "npm start" command is present.

Please advise on how do I troubleshoot this? To start the edgemicro gateway with the key and secret is working perfectly.

0 6 586
6 REPLIES 6

Former Community Member
Not applicable
@Etienne Dippenaar

That is a very old article. Please refer to the steps here: https://github.com/apigee-internal/microgateway/tree/master/kubernetes/docker/edgemicro

If you want to run Microgateway on Kubernetes, please see this:

https://github.com/apigee-internal/microgateway/tree/master/kubernetes

Hi @srinandans

Thank you for the information. I have followed the steps listed in the kubernetes instructions. With the following step I assume it should be: helloword-service and not hellworld-service

When execute the following command I get the "helloword" service listed in the list, Is this correct?

The following steps has a missing H after the -

But thank you for good guidelines, I finally got it working. I have tried the Docker one as well but when I execute step3 I am getting the following issue:

docker: invalid reference format: repository name must be lowercase.

Former Community Member
Not applicable

Thank you @Etienne Dippenaar. Can you please give me the locations to the typo?

For step 3, can you please paste the exact command here?

Hi,

I have added the locations into my original reply but I see it didn't pull through, sorry about that

When you deploy an application in Edgemicro as a Service:

kubectl apply -f samples/helloworld/hellworld-service.yaml

When you call an API in the verification steps for Edgemicro as a Service:

curl - 'x-api-key:your-edge-api-key' $GATEWAY_IP:80/hello/echo;echo

Docker Command: After I have rerun the same command as yesterday it is now working, not sure why that will happen but the docker is now built, thanks for the great article.

Hi @srinandans

In your article you say the Openshift part is coming soon. Have you done anything wrt deploying this gateway in Openshift?

Former Community Member
Not applicable

We would have to defer that work. I don't have easy access to openshift.