Streaming requests and responses- Restrictions

As per Apigee Product link https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/develop/enabling-streaming

document indicates restrictions on Apigee-Request or Response as

"We strongly recommend you do not attach policies where streaming is enabled (request or response). If policies are attached, buffering can occur that limits payload size to the numbers listed above, which defeats the purpose of enabling streaming to handle large payloads."

This need to be rewritten or re framed something like

Streaming will not impact policies until we use certain policy, which traverse the content of payload or act on payload like one of example, Extract Policy which extract the content from request or response etc using eg say XPATH (with XML request/response) will encounter IOException ( Extract Policy being just one example may be more policies , whichever tries to act on the request or response will have impact, hence will not work. Note: not tried with

Overall any Policies of Apigee which does not have access to message content can be still used with streaming feature eg security or Threat management policies . which do not interfere with message content can be still usable

I think Any Policy listed under Mediation Policy and Extension policy will not work.

Please confirm my understanding is correct ?

0 3 688
3 REPLIES 3

@Dino Please advice

@Abiram Radhakrishnan, I believe that's correct. (If it was you who left us the note on the doc site, thank you.) I've made a slight tweak to the note in the docs without getting into too much detail at the moment:

"With streaming enabled, we strongly recommend you do not attach policies that require access to the request or response payload. Those types of policies will either cause errors or trigger buffering in the API proxy, which limits payload size to the numbers listed above and defeats the purpose of enabling streaming to handle large payloads."

@Floyd Jones Yes I have left the not in doc site. There were different groups in our organization had different opinion, hence thought of approaching doc team. Thanks for updating the comment.

Thanks for confirming that Policy listed under Mediation Policy will not work with Streaming, these types of policies will either cause errors or trigger buffering in the API proxy,