Old & New Certification Queries

Hi guys, I have few queries regarding both old & new certification.

Old Certification

I have cleared my previous certification in June 2016. This certificate did not include any expiration info. But as per the latest info, it states that any certificate will be valid for 2 years.

So is my current certificate valid until June 2018 or is it valid for another two years(until Jan 2020)?

I received a mail from Credly saying that, we are migrating your cert to Apigee certified professional - API Engineer & I did not receive any mail from Credly to claim my new badge.

New Certification

Why did we remove Level2? It was unique when compared with other API Vendor Certifications. Personally, I felt more confident with APigee after completing Level2. I hope you bring back Level2 which includes new topics like, encrypted kvm, flows, hooks, proxy chaining etc.,

So for the API Engineer certification, the pre-requisite is Coursera Course. Do we have the same course at Apigee Academy?

Is the Level1 exam same as the previous certification which has about 140 questions in 120 minutes?

If I already have an valid old certificate, do I still need to take this new certification? (well I know this covers new topics)

@Anil Sagar @Paul Williams

Solved Solved
0 2 860
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Siddharth,

Certification Migration

I'll look into your situation and make sure that if you are entitled to a new certification you get it. In the future, the best channel for support issues like this is to email gcp-edge-certification@google.com.

New Certification

We were faced with a difficult problem with Level 2 certifications. While the fact that it is a practical exercise is valuable, a manual review of proxies by candidates was not going to scale. We simply can't have enough reviewers to handle the number of applicants.

Our approach is to use specific test writing techniques to increase the level of comprehension needed to succeed in the exam. We have collected evidence that passing the new exam is a good signal of competence in building API programs. We're also committed to continuing to a continuous improvement program to ensure the exam is a valid test of competence.

Coursera Course

The coursera course is a valuable resource for anyone learning about API Engineering, but it is not a prerequisite to the exam. In fact, taking the course by itself is not likely to give you enough experience to successfully pass the exam.

To be successful at the exam, you will need a mixture of training, personal research of Apigee recommended practices, and practical experience in engineering API solutions. Remember: our new exam is not simply "API Developer", it's "API Engineer" and designed to test not only the mechanics of developing APIs, but also practical issues of advising project leaders on approaches proven to support a successful API Program.

Format

The new exam is not the same as the Level 1 exam. It is comprised of 110 questions, with 120 minutes allocated to completion.

Validity Period

Your existing Level 1 test pass entitles you to be grandfathered into the new certification for a 1 year period. Your existing Level 2 pass entitles you to be grandfathered in for a 2 year period. You will need to recertify if you want to continue to be identified as an "Apigee Certified Professional API Engineer".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Siddharth,

Certification Migration

I'll look into your situation and make sure that if you are entitled to a new certification you get it. In the future, the best channel for support issues like this is to email gcp-edge-certification@google.com.

New Certification

We were faced with a difficult problem with Level 2 certifications. While the fact that it is a practical exercise is valuable, a manual review of proxies by candidates was not going to scale. We simply can't have enough reviewers to handle the number of applicants.

Our approach is to use specific test writing techniques to increase the level of comprehension needed to succeed in the exam. We have collected evidence that passing the new exam is a good signal of competence in building API programs. We're also committed to continuing to a continuous improvement program to ensure the exam is a valid test of competence.

Coursera Course

The coursera course is a valuable resource for anyone learning about API Engineering, but it is not a prerequisite to the exam. In fact, taking the course by itself is not likely to give you enough experience to successfully pass the exam.

To be successful at the exam, you will need a mixture of training, personal research of Apigee recommended practices, and practical experience in engineering API solutions. Remember: our new exam is not simply "API Developer", it's "API Engineer" and designed to test not only the mechanics of developing APIs, but also practical issues of advising project leaders on approaches proven to support a successful API Program.

Format

The new exam is not the same as the Level 1 exam. It is comprised of 110 questions, with 120 minutes allocated to completion.

Validity Period

Your existing Level 1 test pass entitles you to be grandfathered into the new certification for a 1 year period. Your existing Level 2 pass entitles you to be grandfathered in for a 2 year period. You will need to recertify if you want to continue to be identified as an "Apigee Certified Professional API Engineer".

Thank you @Paul Williams for the information & for the new badge in Credly.