Linux OS Patching to the Private Apigee Cloud

balaji2303
Participant I

Hi,

We have private cloud install of Edge, also all components running on individual nodes.

We need to patch our OS each month (redhat 6.8), What is order that we need to maintain for patching followed by rebooting of servers with zero downtime ?

How to patching the postgres servers which is in master-standby mode?

Thanks in Advance,

Balaji

Solved Solved
0 3 4,522
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We generally do patching every month & we make sure to take care traffic,data store quoram,analytics master/standby servers..

eg(architecture):

1,2 rmp

5,6,7 -zk,cs

8,9 -analytics(postrges master/standby)

Sequence:

Batch 1- 1,5 ,8 (rmp,zk/cs,analyics (master)

Batch 2- 2,6,9 (rmp,zk/cs,analyics(stanby)

Batch 3 - 7 zk/cs,Dev Portal

It works so far so good..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

We generally do patching every month & we make sure to take care traffic,data store quoram,analytics master/standby servers..

eg(architecture):

1,2 rmp

5,6,7 -zk,cs

8,9 -analytics(postrges master/standby)

Sequence:

Batch 1- 1,5 ,8 (rmp,zk/cs,analyics (master)

Batch 2- 2,6,9 (rmp,zk/cs,analyics(stanby)

Batch 3 - 7 zk/cs,Dev Portal

It works so far so good..

Thank you @vinay, Let me try it 🙂

adderidder
Participant I

Thank you for sharing your sequence, Vinay.
Do you have a reason for patching the postgres master before the standby? I would tend to patch the standby first - assuming something bad happens that is hard to fix, we could probably continue without the standby but not without the master. However, I see the opposite order recommended in the official application update guide.

Without highjacking the topic, I wanted to point out that patching / upgrading the Apigee Edge product takes a different sequence than OS patching.

For OS patching, we can patch one node of a group at a time and keep the services mostly up (may need postgres failover?).

For Apigee upgrades, we upgrade a function at a time in the following order :

1. ZooKeeper
  2. Cassandra
  3. qpidd, ps
  4. LDAP
  5. Edge, meaning the "-c edge" profile on all nodes in the order: nodes with Qpid server, Edge Postgres Server, Management Server, Message Processor, and Router.
  6. Edge UI
  7. Edge SSO

Full details here (or find the guide for your versions):

https://docs.apigee.com/private-cloud/v4.19.01/update-apigee-edge-4180x-41901