Sumologic syslog connection from apigee

Hi,

In our org we have asked sumologic team to provide syslog interface to submit log from apigee cloud.

They have give us a token, host and port.

But in apigee message logging i don't see an option to provide the token and when I test without the token I don't see the log in sumo logic.

How do i provide token in the message logging policy? Also, how do I know apigee successfully posted the log in sumo logic.

<Syslog><Message> "{organization.name}.{apiproxy.name}.{environment.name}" </Message><Host>syslog.XXX.sumologic.com</Host><Port>XXXX</Port><Protocol>TCP</Protocol></Syslog>

Thanks,

Krish

Solved Solved
0 12 997
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The token is not part of the standard syslog interface, and so there is no explicit element in the Syslog configuration for including that token .

According to my reading of the sumologic documentation, you need to embed the token into the message itself. For example, supposing you have the token ABCDEFG12345 , then you might use this configuration:

<Syslog>
  <Message>ABCDEFG12345 {organization.name}.{apiproxy.name}.{environment.name}</Message>
  <Host>syslog.XXX.sumologic.com</Host>
  <Port>XXXX</Port>
  <Protocol>TCP</Protocol>
</Syslog>

You could of course, parameterize the token as well. If you populate the token from a KVM or some other AssignVariable policy, and use the variable name "sumologic.token" , then you could use this alternative policy configuration:

<Syslog>
  <Message>{sumologic.token} {organization.name}.{apiproxy.name}.{environment.name}</Message>
  <Port>XXXX</Port>
  <Protocol>TCP</Protocol>
</Syslog>

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

The token is not part of the standard syslog interface, and so there is no explicit element in the Syslog configuration for including that token .

According to my reading of the sumologic documentation, you need to embed the token into the message itself. For example, supposing you have the token ABCDEFG12345 , then you might use this configuration:

<Syslog>
  <Message>ABCDEFG12345 {organization.name}.{apiproxy.name}.{environment.name}</Message>
  <Port>XXXX</Port>
  <Protocol>TCP</Protocol>
</Syslog>

You could of course, parameterize the token as well. If you populate the token from a KVM or some other AssignVariable policy, and use the variable name "sumologic.token" , then you could use this alternative policy configuration:

<Syslog>
  <Message>{sumologic.token} {organization.name}.{apiproxy.name}.{environment.name}</Message>
  <Port>XXXX</Port>
  <Protocol>TCP</Protocol>
</Syslog>

@Dino

After doing this same configuration I am still not seeing the log in sumo logic. Any idea how can i debug or what else i should look for?

@Dino

It is working after adding the below snippet. One question, when i see the log in sumo, it actual log is getting appended with "<14>1 2018-02-27T21:31:05.005+0000 19ea1fc2-e676-418b-b8e1-848da00a2732 Apigee-Edge - - -". Do you know how can i get rid of this?

<FormatMessage>true</FormatMessage><strong><SSLInfo><Enabled>true</Enabled></SSLInfo><br></strong>

Yes - that information is added by the MessageLogging policy when you include the FormatMessage element. Read more about that here: https://docs.apigee.com/api-services/reference/message-logging-policy

You may try excluding that element or setting it to false, while keeping SSLInfo.

Eg

<FormatMessage>false</FormatMessage>
<SSLInfo>
  <Enabled>true</Enabled>
</SSLInfo> 

@Dino

With

<FormatMessage>false</FormatMessage>

Log content is prepended with "<14>Tue Feb 27 22:05:46 UTC 2018Info:"

Any thoughts?

Did you try removing that FormatMessage element completely?

I don't know why that stuff is still there.

The documentation states:

• <14> - A priority score (see the Syslog Protocol) based on the log level and facility level of the message.
  • Date with a UTC offset (UTC = +0000).

I don't know if it is possible to remove or eliminate that from the message that gets sent to Sumo.

@Dino

I have removed the "FormatMessage" from the proxy. I can still see the extra chars in sumologic.

@Krish

I reviewed my notes on this, and have found a known issue concerning message logging. b/68722102 - MessageLogging FormatMessage False Not Working

Per this known issue, the expectation is that with FormatMessage set to "false", only the message part of the syslog, and exclude:
the syslog priority score <14>,
extra date timestamp,
syslog token
Currently the way that FormatMessage set to "false" works, only the syslog token is excluded.

We are using sumologic free acccount. How can i test message logging policy. I am able to log error messages from shared flow using the JS approach suggested at https://community.apigee.com/articles/32286/logging-to-sumo-logic-using-javascript-and-http.html. But for asynchronous and postclient flow i need to test with free account especially success responses. Is it possible. thanks

Hi

for new questions, ask a new question. Do not post new questions as comments on comments on answers to old questions.

6696-ask-a-question.png

Sure i will.

I can confirm that this bug is still present in Edge Cloud, as of 2018-11-15.