Can't open spec - Screen goes blank (bug)

Not applicable

Hello,

I've spent a couple of hours working on a spec when it "crashed" for lack of a better word. Every time I try to open the spec, it flickers briefly and then the screen goes blank. Other specs open without problem, it's just this one that won't open.

Another user in my company can't open it from his computer either. Same issue for that particular spec.

Update

spec.txt

I'm able to recreate the crash, and I guess this will happen for anyone else who tries it (?). Take the attached spec, which works without any problems. Under this section:

security:

- APIKey: []

Start another entry in the array with just the character - and the screen will go blank. This happens every time.

Solved Solved
0 10 347
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We have tracked down the issue to a bug in the spec editor, where a malformed security entry (which is the case when you start typing the entry) is not handled gracefully.

As a temporary workaround type out the entry, in its entirety, in an external text editor, then copy and paste the entry into the spec editor. Be cautious of editing the security properties directly in the editor moving forward.

A proper fix will be available in a future release.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

I was unable to recreate the issue, and wanted to verify the steps to reproduce. When you say "Start another entry in the array with just the character" do you mean something like the following:

security:
  - APIKey: [a]

With this edit I get the following error displayed in the editor, but I can continue to edit the spec without issue:

Semantic error at security.0.0
Security scope definition as could not be resolvedJump to line 29

Which browser and browser version are you using? Does this differ from the other user that tested the spec?

I mean start a new array entry like this:

security:
  - APIKey: []
  -

As soon as you type the - character, it crashes. This occurs on both Mac and Windows 10 in Chrome, and also on Mac Firefox. I haven't tested other combinations.

Mac Chrome: Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Mac Firefox: 57.0.4 (64-bit)

My coworker uses Windows 10, I'm unsure what his browser version is.

Thank you for the clarification. I am now able to reproduce the issue. I'll file an internal ticket to track this bug, and will keep you up to date with our findings.

Great, thank you.

We have tracked down the issue to a bug in the spec editor, where a malformed security entry (which is the case when you start typing the entry) is not handled gracefully.

As a temporary workaround type out the entry, in its entirety, in an external text editor, then copy and paste the entry into the spec editor. Be cautious of editing the security properties directly in the editor moving forward.

A proper fix will be available in a future release.

Not applicable

Hey, guys.

I'm facing the same issue, and I'm unable to recover my specification.

The supplied workaround doesn't work for me, since the only thing I have is a blank screen.

6496-apigee-bug.jpg

Is there any chance I can have my specification sent by e-mail? I can't manage to wait for the bug to be solved - considering it will take a few more days for the fix.

This is critical for me and the business!

I was not able to recover my original spec either, since it won't open properly. I think the suggested work around was for future specs that are in development. Ultimately, I had to recreate my spec from scratch. You may want to open a new ticket and reference this one. I'm not sure if they'll see your comment here.

That's sad.. I really hope I can recover it.

I've followed your suggestion and posted a new topic, referencing this question.

Thank you!

See the new topic for instructions on how to recover the spec content. My apologies for not including these steps before.

Thanks for the help, @myara! I've managed to recover my work.

I've also included the specific cause, in my scenario, for the screen to go blank, in the new topic.