Hi,I want to extract data from the below json based on the query param "soa-classification"

[{
  "language-version": "",
  "languages-supported": "English",
  "owning-region": "Corporate",
  "peak-user-count": "",
  "product-department": "Risk and Compliance Management",
  "product-owner": "Johnson Paul",
  "product-owner-cc": "05444",
  "product-sponsor": "Dooley, Peter",
  "product-sponsor-cc": "05444",
  "product-sponsor-domain": " IT Security",
  "soa-classification": "service provider",
  "software-version": "6.2",
  "supported-environment": "Dev/Staging, Production",
  "supported-region": "Global",
  "unix-windows": "Windows"
}, {
  "language-version": "",
  "languages-supported": "English",
  "owning-region": "Corporate",
  "peak-user-count": "",
  "product-department": "Enterprise Architecture",
  "product-owner": "Brian D. Smith",
  "product-owner-cc": "05431",
  "product-sponsor": "Cynthia Czabala",
  "product-sponsor-cc": "",
  "product-sponsor-domain": "Enterprise Information Solutions and Customer Loyalty Marketing Technologies",
  "soa-classification": "service provider",
  "software-version": "2",
  "supported-environment": "Staging, Int, Production",
  "supported-region": "Corporate",
  "unix-windows": "Windows"
}]

Solved Solved
0 6 431
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Assuming your json is in a variable called the_json_payload, and that you want to extract all the elements where soa-classification matches "service provider", you can use an Extract Variables policy like the following

<ExtractVariables name="ExtractVariablesFromJSON">
   <Source>the_json_payload</Source>
   <JSONPayload>
      <Variable name="matchingElements" type="float">
         <JSONPath>$[*][?(@.soa-classification == 'service provider')]</JSONPath>
      </Variable>
   </JSONPayload>
</ExtractVariables>

This will extract all the matching elements to a variable called matchingElements.

For a complete reference of the policy, see https://docs.apigee.com/api-services/reference/extract-variables-policy.

Also, this tutorial and online JSONPath evaluator help when trying to figure out how to deal with JSONPath.

View solution in original post

If you want to conditionally extract based on the value of a query parameter, simply replace the hardcoded 'service provider' in my previous example with the corresponding query parameter (surrounded with brackets):

<ExtractVariables async="false" continueOnError="false" enabled="true" name="MatchingElementsFromJSON">
    <DisplayName>MatchingElementsFromJSON</DisplayName>
    <JSONPayload>
        <Variable name="matchingElements">
            <JSONPath>$[*][?(@.soa-classification == {request.queryparam.soa_classification})]</JSONPath>
        </Variable>
    </JSONPayload>
</ExtractVariables>

The attached proxy uses this policy in conjunction with a dummy assign variable (to mimic your file read) and returns the matching objects extractfromjsonbasedonqueryparam-rev1-2018-02-08.zip

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

[ { "language-version": "", "languages-supported": "English", "owning-region": "Corporate", "peak-user-count": "", "product-department": "Risk and Compliance Management", "product-owner": "Johnson Paul", "product-owner-cc": "05444", "product-sponsor": "Dooley, Peter", "product-sponsor-cc": "05444", "product-sponsor-domain": " IT Security", "soa-classification": "service provider", "software-version": "6.2", "supported-environment": "Dev/Staging, Production", "supported-region": "Global", "unix-windows": "Windows" }, { "language-version": "", "languages-supported": "English", "owning-region": "Corporate", "peak-user-count": "", "product-department": "Enterprise Architecture", "product-owner": "Brian D. Smith", "product-owner-cc": "05431", "product-sponsor": "Cynthia Czabala", "product-sponsor-cc": "", "product-sponsor-domain": "Enterprise Information Solutions and Customer Loyalty Marketing Technologies", "soa-classification": "service provider", "software-version": "2", "supported-environment": "Staging, Int, Production", "supported-region": "Corporate", "unix-windows": "Windows" } ]

Assuming your json is in a variable called the_json_payload, and that you want to extract all the elements where soa-classification matches "service provider", you can use an Extract Variables policy like the following

<ExtractVariables name="ExtractVariablesFromJSON">
   <JSONPayload>
      <Variable name="matchingElements" type="float">
         <JSONPath>$[*][?(@.soa-classification == 'service provider')]</JSONPath>
      </Variable>
   </JSONPayload>
</ExtractVariables>

This will extract all the matching elements to a variable called matchingElements.

For a complete reference of the policy, see https://docs.apigee.com/api-services/reference/extract-variables-policy.

Also, this tutorial and online JSONPath evaluator help when trying to figure out how to deal with JSONPath.

@deboraelkin
Thanks!
I want to set this field as a query param and depending upon what value I am sending,I just want to extract that chunk of data.
For example,soa-classification can be "service provider","service consumer" or "api client".I am using java script to read the json file.
So I want to set this as query param and I want to check for that value using javascript and extract data.
Please can you help me on this?

@Vidisha, what I'm trying to point out, is that you don't need javascript to achieve that. Just use the ExtractVariables policy configuration I mentioned above. It'll return all the elements in the array where soa-classification is equal to the value provided in your query parameter.

Do review the sample proxy I attached, it does exactly that.

If you want to conditionally extract based on the value of a query parameter, simply replace the hardcoded 'service provider' in my previous example with the corresponding query parameter (surrounded with brackets):

<ExtractVariables async="false" continueOnError="false" enabled="true" name="MatchingElementsFromJSON">
    <DisplayName>MatchingElementsFromJSON</DisplayName>
    <JSONPayload>
        <Variable name="matchingElements">
            <JSONPath>$[*][?(@.soa-classification == {request.queryparam.soa_classification})]</JSONPath>
        </Variable>
    </JSONPayload>
</ExtractVariables>

The attached proxy uses this policy in conjunction with a dummy assign variable (to mimic your file read) and returns the matching objects extractfromjsonbasedonqueryparam-rev1-2018-02-08.zip

Hey thanks!
what if I want to extract data based on just a single word which I will send as a query param and want to extract all arrays that contain that word?

for example: searchtext=staging
I want to get all arrays as response that contain this word in it