Can we use Apigee's Developer Portal with external custom API gateway?

Hi guys, we have a requirement where our client has a custom API Gateway & using Tibco Mashery for developer portal. I am not sure how they are doing this at the moment. Now they want to migrate from the Tibco dev portal and use Apigee (Drupal) dev portal.

1. Can we use Apigee's Dev Portal with an external custom API gateway? If yes, how can it be achieved?
  2. Should we create pass-through proxies in Apigee, create products & then use Apigee dev portal?
  3. AFAIK we require APIs/Products in Apigee to use the Dev Portal. Correct me if I am wrong..

@Anil Sagar @Dino

Solved Solved
2 1 552
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Siddharth Barahalikar ,

Apigee Edge Developer Portal closely works with Apigee Edge. You need Apigee Edge to leverage full power of Developer Portal.

• Can we use Apigee's Dev Portal with an external custom API gateway? If yes, how can it be achieved?
    • NO, We don't support Apigee Developer Portal with external custom API Gateway
    • We DO NOT sell Apigee Developer Portal license alone.
    • You need Apigee Edge to use Apigee Developer Portal
  • Should we create pass-through proxies in Apigee, create products & then use Apigee dev portal
    • Ideally, Customer should be moving to Apigee API Platform instead of using other API Gateways. Apigee is more than API Gateway.
  • Do we require APIs/Products in Apigee to use the Dev Portal ?
    • If you would like allow developer / partners to register application to get access to APIs.
    • If you just would like to expose API Documentation then you don't need APIs / API Products.

Hope it helps.

We would love to have broader discussion on how we can help customer to migrate to more powerful & capable Apigee Platform than simple API gateways. Reach out to me using Refer button on right side bar with more context & information.

We are happy to help customer to make right choice. Keep us posted moving forward if any.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Siddharth Barahalikar ,

Apigee Edge Developer Portal closely works with Apigee Edge. You need Apigee Edge to leverage full power of Developer Portal.

• Can we use Apigee's Dev Portal with an external custom API gateway? If yes, how can it be achieved?
    • NO, We don't support Apigee Developer Portal with external custom API Gateway
    • We DO NOT sell Apigee Developer Portal license alone.
    • You need Apigee Edge to use Apigee Developer Portal
  • Should we create pass-through proxies in Apigee, create products & then use Apigee dev portal
    • Ideally, Customer should be moving to Apigee API Platform instead of using other API Gateways. Apigee is more than API Gateway.
  • Do we require APIs/Products in Apigee to use the Dev Portal ?
    • If you would like allow developer / partners to register application to get access to APIs.
    • If you just would like to expose API Documentation then you don't need APIs / API Products.

Hope it helps.

We would love to have broader discussion on how we can help customer to migrate to more powerful & capable Apigee Platform than simple API gateways. Reach out to me using Refer button on right side bar with more context & information.

We are happy to help customer to make right choice. Keep us posted moving forward if any.