Backend APIs - SAP, JDE - Best practice

Not applicable

Hi - When exposing backend applications such as SAP and JDE, could anyone share best practice, patterns and typical architecture used?

We have multiple integration products in place such as SAP PO, IBM Integration Bus, IBM DataPower... I can build APIs on these tools and suspect I could optionally add a product like apigee on top to add the 'management' layer with portal etc..

I suspect the backend logic would be wriiten in ABAP, RPG etc. and these programs would be callable via RFC, MQ... (i.e. not over web via http(s)).

For synchronous calls where say a User is on a mobile app looking up product prices, I suspect the fewer components in the mix the better. In this pattern would apigee API invoke say abap directly bypassing typical 'ESB' layers? (i.e. minimal integration logic required, performance crucial)

Does anyone replicate data to a secondary store to prevent APIs throttling the backend? I see apigee provides config to limit APIs calls and caching etc..

Our primary data center is in the US, where global Users/Customers are calling the APIs and waiting for response, would you see a need to add regional 'hubs' to offset latency etc..

(I suspect many ways to architect/design this with various pros/cons and will come down to what I think works best for our enterprise, but would be great to get input from community)

Thanks in advance

0 0 331
0 REPLIES 0