Environment specific IP Whitelisting

Not applicable

Hi,

I want to whitelist different IPs for different environment, and those IPs can have different masking.

Can I do it using AccessControl policy and KVM? Can I specify the whitelisted IPs and their respective mask values in KVM and then use those values in AccessControl polocy?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Sanjay

Solved Solved
2 5 770
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

I have come up with an approach where we can make it environment usable. And I think this approache can be used in places where using KVM may not be possible.

Steps:

1) Add an ACL policy file for Test, say: whitelist-ips-test

2) Add an ACL policy file for Production: whitelist-ips-test

3) Add the following conditional step in you proxy request preflow (ideally as the first step):

<PreFlow name="PreFlow"> <Request> <Step> <Name>whitelist-ips-test</Name> <Condition>environment.name equals "test"</Condition> </Step> <Step> <Name>whitelist-ips-prod</Name> <Condition>environment.name equals "prod"</Condition> </Step>

</PreFlow>

Then it will work based on the environment and not mix the IPs.

Thanks,

Sanjay

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Fajj,

Thanks for taking time to respond to my questions. But I am sorry to say that none of the links answer my question. I had been through to these links.

I know how whitelisting works using Access Control policy along with having different masking for different IPs (if you have multiple IPs to whitelist). I have tried it out already.

I will elaborate question. I have to whitelist x1.x2.x3.x4/24; z1.z2.z3.z4/24 in Dev and y1.y2.y3.y4/32 in Production. How do I put (for DEV env)?:

<SourceAddress mask="24">x1.x2.x3.x4</SourceAddress>

<SourceAddress mask="24">z1.z2.z3.z4</SourceAddress>

And then put (in PROD env):

<SourceAddress mask="32">y1.y2.y3.y4</SourceAddress>

in ONE Access Control Policy file. I can put them in one ACL file but then DEV IPs are whitelisted in PROD and vice-versa, which is not a desired situation.

Is it possible to use KVM? If yes then how?

Thanks,

Sanjay

Not applicable

I have come up with an approach where we can make it environment usable. And I think this approache can be used in places where using KVM may not be possible.

Steps:

1) Add an ACL policy file for Test, say: whitelist-ips-test

2) Add an ACL policy file for Production: whitelist-ips-test

3) Add the following conditional step in you proxy request preflow (ideally as the first step):

<PreFlow name="PreFlow"> <Request> <Step> <Name>whitelist-ips-test</Name> <Condition>environment.name equals "test"</Condition> </Step> <Step> <Name>whitelist-ips-prod</Name> <Condition>environment.name equals "prod"</Condition> </Step>

</PreFlow>

Then it will work based on the environment and not mix the IPs.

Thanks,

Sanjay

One issue with using this approach is that for any change in KVM we do not need to redeploy the API Proxy whereas for any change with this approach we need to redeploy the API proxy.