Rate limit on API Proxy's streaming

taka-t

Hi all,

I think of enabling API Proxy's streaming to handle video data.

One thing I'm concerned is that the API Proxy might run out network's bandwidth when many clients access to it.

So, I want to limit the load for the API Proxy somehow. the Built-in "Concurrent Rate Limit" policy is a good option to achieve this goal, but you can not use policies when you enable streaming according to the document below:

https://docs.apigee.com/api-services/content/enabling-streaming#whatelseshouldiknowaboutstreaming

Some advises for Rate limiting on streaming are highly appreciated!

Regards,

0 4 255
4 REPLIES 4

Not applicable

@Toshiaki Takashima,

Video data generally being streamed as part of the response flow. Is that the use case? Or, is there a need to stream video data as part of the request flow? My intuitive guess is response flow.

Streaming can be enabled either for request or response or both flows. Policies which require access to payload shouldn't be configured for the flow having streaming enabled.

Cheers,

Rajesh

Hi rdoda,

Thanks for reply.

And our objective is to upload large size video data through API Proxy. Sorry for my inadequate

explanation.

You know, Those movie files are very large in general (>= 10Mb), I'm worried that those data upload traffic disturbs other API Proxies on the network.

If you can not use policies for Rate limiting, I would like to ask you how should I do it by other ways.

Regards,

Hi @Toshiaki Takashima,

Restriction is on policies which require access to the payload e.g. to perform transformation. I think, Concurrent Rate limit policy should work along with streaming at request flow. It would be great if you can give a try and update this thread.

Regards,

Rajesh

Hi @rdoda,

I found that both Spike Arrest and Concurrent Rate Limit policies work with no problem for Streaming API Proxy 🙂

Regards,