Hardware requirement for Message Processor & Router

taka-t

Hi,

I can not understand the explanation below link of Hardware requirements for Message Processor / Router on the same machine.

https://docs.apigee.com/private-cloud/v4.16.09/installation-requirements

it says RAM for 8/16G and CPU for 4/8.

Why are those multiple values defined? Which value should I choose for both RAM and CPU?

Does it just describe the requirements in a range specification fashion?

Regards,

1 2 306
2 REPLIES 2

Why are those multiple values defined? Which value should I choose for both RAM and CPU?

The sizes are a starting point, a guide. Every installation may have different requirements and constraints. We can make suggestions, and it is up to you to determine the right configuration for your environment.

Some reasons you may choose smaller or larger configurations:

• you have standard VM sizes, and it's easier to select the standard size. For example, If your "standard" VM is 10G RAM and 2 vCPU, that's fine. The MP and router will work just fine on that.
  • You expect to have lower-than-average workload. In that case a smaller machine (4GB RAM and 2 vCPU) will run the MP just fine.
  • You expect to have larger-than-average workload. In that case a larger machine (16GB RAM and 8 vCPU) would be warranted.

What is "smaller than average"? What is "larger" ? Here again, these are fuzzy terms. It depends on many things including the transaction rate, the size of request payloads, the latency of the backend, the complexity of your API proxies, whether you are performing ServiceCallouts or caching, whether you have XSL transforms, and so on.

The best approach is to start with the recommended sizes as a guide, and then TEST your real workloads to verify that the MP machine behavior is appropriate.

Hi Dino,

Thanks for your advice.

We'll start from the smallest one and enhance it by tuning our proxies' performance.