Lot of RAM Consumed on Hosts

We have a 10 host setup

we have 3 hosts with Router/Message Processor installed and 2 hosts with MS setup installed

These 5 hosts use a lot of RAM

The Router/MP have 16gb RAM and are sitting around 15-17% free, APM shows 12Gb is Cached?

The MS has 8Gb Ram and is also sitting around 15-20% Free with around 5gb Cached?

What is caching the memory? should i be monitoring the cache depleting or the free RAM?

In the Apigee Support Packs the RAM monitoring suggests

a caution at 70% use and a danger at 85% use, we are already hovering around the danger level

1 6 445
6 REPLIES 6

@Michael McLean , There can be many reasons. Can you check java heap size ?

ps -ef | grep message | grep Xmx

All show the same

-Xms256m -Xmx512m	

@Michael McLean , I don't think we can really investigate this in the community. We need to see what other processes are running. We need to access logs.

I suggest open a support ticket with Apigee if you are a customer of Apigee.

Not applicable

Where are you seeing this cached value (could you post command output?)

Linux filesystem will use RAM for cache unless it's being used by a physical process and this is considered to be a good thing.

Hi Andy

I can see this value in our App Monitoring Solution

So i have been looking into this more, I can see the Memory usage sitting around 70%, we then pushed out policies for Anti Virus and the Memory usage jumped to around 80% usage

In saying that nothing has changed and its gradually increasing, now sitting with only 13% memory free

going to look further into it

So i found the issue,

Once i got someone to check the actual host itself it seems our APM was reporting the free memory but ignoring the cache.

Running free -mh on the host itself shows around 85% memory free

Thanks for the help guys 🙂