User authentication from Microsoft AD in Apigee

Hi All,

I have a use case where I need to authenticate user in Microsoft Active Directory before actual API call. The Apigee is on prem.

Can you please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Manish

0 3 1,600
3 REPLIES 3

If you are trying to build in authentication in the API proxy itself, then Sure! - there are a couple ways to do it.

• "Customer managed" Apigee Edge installations allow the use of the LDAP policy. This can connect to any LDAP server in the enterprise, and can do queries/searches, and authentication of users. One scenario: an API call accepts an inbound OAuth2 token request with password grant, in which the username and password are sent in the form payload; the API Proxy in Apigee Edge uses the LDAP policy to authenticate the user, extract the set of groups the user belongs to, then creates a token containing the appropriate custom attributes.
  • A second option is to enable ADFS; in this case AD accepts a WS-Trust Request-for-Security-Token. This is a web interface that requires an XML payload, see some details here. Apigee Edge can use ServiceCallout to send out that request and retrieve a JWT in response.

This is an example of the LDAP policy that could be used in the first case:

<Ldap name="LDAP-Authenticate-and-Query-1">
  <LdapResource>freeipaorg</LdapResource>
  <Authentication>
    <SearchQuery>uid={request.formparam.username}</SearchQuery>
    <Password ref="request.formparam.password"/>
    <Scope>subtree</Scope>
    <BaseDN>cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=demo1,dc=freeipa,dc=org</BaseDN>
  </Authentication>

<Search>
    <BaseDN>cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=demo1,dc=freeipa,dc=org</BaseDN>
    <Scope>subtree</Scope>
    <SearchQuery>uid={request.formparam.username}</SearchQuery>
    <!-- these are all attributes on the user from LDAP -->
    <Attributes>
      <Attribute>uid</Attribute>
      <Attribute>homeDirectory</Attribute>
      <Attribute>loginShell</Attribute>
      <Attribute>initials</Attribute>
      <Attribute>mail</Attribute>
      <Attribute>ipaUniqueID</Attribute>
    </Attributes>
  </Search>
</Ldap>

@Dino I think they mean more SSO flavor. @manish srivastava does Dino's reply answer what you are looking for ?

Ahhhhhh, well, I may have misunderstood.